RE: [SCA-Archery] Mundane Laws and Crossbows

  • Angall
    Message 1 of 42 , May 1, 2002
      Just to pint something out here, I've seen a compound bow with an
      attachment that locked the bow at full draw. The archer in this case had a
      bad shoulder, but anyone can use this... in a way it turned a compound bow
      into a crossbow.

      > The argument against crossbows here has nothing to do with old
      > anti-poaching laws. It has to do with the fact that the crossbow can be
      > held at full draw with a projectile for long periods of time with only a
      > trigger keeping the bolt from discharging.

      As for crossbows being banned on ranges, I can only speak for the ones I've
      been to and there the reason was because if the crossbow bolts blow through
      he target buts (as the compound shooters and us traditional shooters arrows
      sometimes do) they will damage the ballistic netting. The netting costs
      more than the targets. I see that as a somewhat good excuse.

      At the archery practices I hold, I suggest to the crossbow users, to bring
      their own targets that will stand up to more of a beating.

      >>----->
      In service
      Lord Angall O Fearghail
      Captain of Archers of Ile du Dragon Dormant
      http://www3.sympatico.ca/angall/archery/company/
      House of the Broken Axe
      http://www3.sympatico.ca/angall/brokenaxe/
      Shire of L'Ile du Dragon Dormant
      http://ww.total.net/~mbc/idd/
    • wyvern@megahits.com
      Message 42 of 42 , May 2, 2002
        On 3 May 2002 at 1:43, hanhebin wrote:

        > I would recheck these facts because unless you have some kind of
        > special permit you can still be cited for illegally tranporting a
        > weapon to and from a practice. Here in Utah transporting a strung
        > crossbow and bolts even in the trunk of your car is classified as
        > transporting a loaded weapon.

        I was commenting only on CT laws -- YMMV. =)

        YIS,
        Macsen