Re: [SCA-Archery] Mundane Laws and Crossbows

  • Bruce R. Gordon
    Message 1 of 42 , May 1 3:57 AM
      Greetings
      The outdoor range my local guild often uses outright bans them - any
      type, on the basis that their insurance specifically excludes them. Two
      other ranges that we often use accept them - one is an outdoor,
      unmonitored public range, the other is an indoor commercial. Two other
      ranges (indoor) in this general area will grudgingly accept modern
      crossbows, with some whining, but restrict SCA style traditionals unless
      they are modified to include a safety block. In my state (Ohio),
      crossbows are legal for both targets and hunting - I have heard, but
      cannot confirm, that they are totally illegal in West Virginia. I have
      occasionally met with grumbling and minor prejudice about the issue, but
      nothing too serious (aside from the fact that I can't use our best
      outdoor range). The objections I normally hear have to do with insurance
      regs, damage to targets, and bows being supposedly unsafe because they
      don't have safety locks. I have been tempted a few times to comment that
      my 90 lb. traditional is no less safe, or target-destructive, than the
      mundane idiot two lanes down carelessly loading his compound (with an
      effective pull of roughly my own) well behind the line, but have decided
      not to make an issue of it, since I am so meek and mild-mannered :-) .
      SCA safety regs are genuinely obsessive-compulsive, and the Midrealm
      pretty much squares and cubes that, but it isn't an argument one can
      win, because it isn't an argument, it's a clash of cultures.

      Forester Nigel FitzMaurice (Mid)

      etterick wrote:

      > Since this list covers so many regions, I have a crossbow legal
      > question. Has anyone had legal problems or know of any laws against
      > the use of or the ownership of crossbows in target archery? I know
      > that there are numerous laws about the use of crossbows in hunting in
      > different states and countries but I don't know of any for target
      > use. Also, has anyone had trouble using a crossbow at a local range
      > or archery club?
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Duncan

      Ex Tenebra, Lux

    • wyvern@megahits.com
      Message 42 of 42 , May 2 7:56 PM
        On 3 May 2002 at 1:43, hanhebin wrote:

        > I would recheck these facts because unless you have some kind of
        > special permit you can still be cited for illegally tranporting a
        > weapon to and from a practice. Here in Utah transporting a strung
        > crossbow and bolts even in the trunk of your car is classified as
        > transporting a loaded weapon.

        I was commenting only on CT laws -- YMMV. =)

        YIS,
        Macsen