RE: [SCA-Archery] Mundane Laws and Crossbows

  • Guy Taylor
    Message 1 of 42 , May 1, 2002
      Good evening to you, Alberic. You raise good points.
      But just to clarify a wee bit... The range I mentioned bans both crossbows
      *and* broadheads so you may be thinking of a different range than Mile
      Square Park. We don't have a phone book target for broadheads either,
      although I'm sure the local hunters would appreciate one (I know I would).

      As I did state in a previous post, we frequently do get permission to have
      crossbows at our Gyldenholt archery events and this year is no exception.
      The Gyldenholt Archery Championship will be held on June 1st and crossbows
      will be welcome. Please see
      http://www.sca-caid.org/calendar/EventDetails.lasso?IDSearch=318 for more

      I honestly don't see the deal with the crossbow hatred. As for mundane
      ranges griping about excessive target wear, I am sure that most modern
      compounds have more energy than most modern crossbows. Besides, an arrow
      goes through a target bale... so what? My 45# recurve is currently going
      through many of the bales at the range because they are so worn. I don't
      see my arrows doing any further significant damage. And aren't target bales
      supposed to be somewhat expendable? If you want the bale to last a long
      time build it of cinder blocks!

    • wyvern@megahits.com
      Message 42 of 42 , May 2, 2002
        On 3 May 2002 at 1:43, hanhebin wrote:

        > I would recheck these facts because unless you have some kind of
        > special permit you can still be cited for illegally tranporting a
        > weapon to and from a practice. Here in Utah transporting a strung
        > crossbow and bolts even in the trunk of your car is classified as
        > transporting a loaded weapon.

        I was commenting only on CT laws -- YMMV. =)