Re: [SCA-Archery] Mundane Laws and Crossbows

  • alberic
    Message 1 of 42 , Apr 30, 2002
      Greetings:

      As a builder of crossbows, and a current denizen of Caid, I've run
      across a fair bit of trouble over using them. As someone ?Taliear?
      mentioned, the range down in orange doesn't permit them because they
      might shred the targets. But compound bows firing broadheads are
      just fine. (They've got one butt that's built of a wall of dead
      phone-books. Broadheads good, crossbows bad. I talked to the ranger
      in charge of the range the last time I went down there, and the
      "crossbows shred targets" bit was the policy. Explaining the
      difference between crossbows and compounds, and what broadheads do
      didn't seem to interest him. I gave up before I dug anybody any
      holes.)
      That being said, the SCA crowd down there does hold one of the *very*
      few crossbow friendly events in Caid. (Thanks guys, when's the next
      one?)
      Mundanely, I'm in Santa Barbara, and as far as I can tell, I can't
      get a crossbow onto a regular range anywhere within 50+ miles of me.
      I can cheerfully drive up into the hills and shoot into a cliff face,
      but that's purely until/unless an over eager ranger decides to arrest
      me. (These days, not a risk I'm eager to take.) The few regular
      archery ranges around this neck of the woods (above the grade, for
      you LA types.) don't permit crossbows, largely because they think I'm
      going to shred their targets. The range owners I've talked to are
      sometimes slightly interested in making an exception, but their other
      stated goal is to keep out the kids with the whammo wrist rockets,
      and the pistol crossbows, mostly because they don't like the sort of
      person they percieve to be the likely owner of said toys.
      Essentially, they're trying to keep out the wannabe ninjakinder.

      For what it's worth, crossbows are legal in California, but nearly
      impossible to do anything *except* hunt with. (Unless you're the
      lucky owner of enough land to put up your own targets. Something of
      a rarity in this part of the world.)

      FWIW,
      Alberic
    • wyvern@megahits.com
      Message 42 of 42 , May 2, 2002
        On 3 May 2002 at 1:43, hanhebin wrote:

        > I would recheck these facts because unless you have some kind of
        > special permit you can still be cited for illegally tranporting a
        > weapon to and from a practice. Here in Utah transporting a strung
        > crossbow and bolts even in the trunk of your car is classified as
        > transporting a loaded weapon.

        I was commenting only on CT laws -- YMMV. =)

        YIS,
        Macsen