Books

  • ian_griffen_archer
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 19, 2002
      Greetings Archers of the List.

      I'm looking for some books on the History of Archery. Does any one
      know of any besides the Gray Goose Wing and the Medieval Archer? I'm
      doing a research paper and need more information and sources

      YIS

      Ian Griffen the Archer
    • Sandra Jaqua
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 19, 2002
        "The Longbow" by Robert Hardy. _Excellent_ book. It especially delves
        into the finds from the Mary Rose. There were so many longbows found in the
        wreck, that storage became a major problem, and they actually had the luxury
        of destructive testing of draw weights.
        Allesaundra de Crosthwaite
        > I'm looking for some books on the History of Archery. Does any one
        > know of any besides the Gray Goose Wing and the Medieval Archer? I'm
        > doing a research paper and need more information and sources
        >

        > YIS
        >
        > Ian Griffen the Archer

      • John Edgerton
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 20, 2002
          ian_griffen_archer wrote:

          > Greetings Archers of the List.
          >
          > I'm looking for some books on the History of Archery. Does any one
          > know of any besides the Gray Goose Wing and the Medieval Archer? I'm
          > doing a research paper and need more information and sources
          >
          > YIS
          >
          > Ian Griffen the Archer

          Off the top of my head:

          Archery, A military History
          Bows against steel
          The medieval bowman
          The art of archery
          The history of marksmanship
          A history of target archery
          The longbow, a social and military history

          Jon
        • wodeford
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 20, 2002
            --- In SCA-Archery@y..., "ian_griffen_archer"
            <ian_griffen_archer@y...> wrote:
            > Greetings Archers of the List.
            >
            > I'm looking for some books on the History of Archery. Does any one
            > know of any besides the Gray Goose Wing and the Medieval Archer?
            I'm
            > doing a research paper and need more information and sources

            I second Hardy's "Longbow." It's excellent.
            And don't forget "Toxophilus" by Roger Ascham, a period treatise on
            archery by Elizabeth I's tutor.

            Good hunting,
            Jehanne de Wodeford, Dangeld Tor, West
          • Mike O'Toole
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 21, 2002
              ian_griffen_archer wrote:

              > Greetings Archers of the List.
              >
              > I'm looking for some books on the History of Archery. Does any one
              > know of any besides the Gray Goose Wing and the Medieval Archer? I'm
              > doing a research paper and need more information and sources

              A quick look through my bookshelf:

              Burke, E., The History of Archery

              Duff, J., Bows and Arrows

              Elmer, R. & Smart, C.A., The Book of the Longbow

              Featherstone, D., Bowmen of England

              Grimley, G., The Book of the Bow

              Heath, E. G., A History of Target Archery

              Heath, E.G., Archery A Military History

              Hodgkin, A.E., The Archer's Craft

              Longman and Walrond, Archery

              Markham, Gervase, The Art of Archerie

              Nicolas, Harris, The History of the Battle of Agincourt

              Wood, William, The Bowman's Glory

              Michael O'Byrne

              --
              mike.otoole@...
              ---
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 22, 2002
                Have you seen "Essentials of Archery"? - It's a website of a book - kinda

                http://members.tripod.com/~tmuss/eoa/

                Sharon

                > I'm looking for some books on the History of Archery. Does any one
                > know of any besides the Gray Goose Wing and the Medieval Archer? I'm
                > doing a research paper and need more information and sources
                >

                > YIS
                >
                > Ian Griffen the Archer

              • James Brummet
                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 18 1:26 PM
                  Forgive me, I know we have gone over this before but my computer ate the list I had made. What books would some of you recommend for a period archery library?
                • Frederick Fenters
                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 19 4:03 AM
                    My personal recommendations:

                    Longbow by Robert Hardy

                    Crossbow by Sir Ralph Payne-Galloway

                    The Traditional Bowyer's Bible (all volumes) various authors

                    I will be interested to see what others add. All these are available
                    through Amazon.com.

                    Forester Padraig MacRaighne
                    Pentamere Archery Lt. General

                  • James Brummet

                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 19 5:55 AM
                        >Forgive me, I know we have gone over this before but my computer ate the
                        >list I had made. What books would some of you recommend for a period
                        >archery library?

                        Would these be books about period archery or archery books published in period?

                        For the latter, I'd recommend the facsimilies of Roger Ascham's Toxophilus
                        (as I'm sure many others would).

                        For the former, let's see:
                        Alm's Survey of European Crossbows
                        Lamar Latham's Saracen Archery
                        Harmuth's Die Armbrust

                        And I'd have to grudgingly recommend Payne-Gallway's The Crossbow.

                        -Lyev Davidovitch (away from his library at the moment, those are the ones
                        that come to mind)
                      • James Brummet
                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 19 5:58 AM
                          Both! Again my thanks!

                          >>> lyev@... 02/19/03 06:55AM >>>

                          >Forgive me, I know we have gone over this before but my computer ate the
                          >list I had made. What books would some of you recommend for a period
                          >archery library?

                          Would these be books about period archery or archery books published in period?

                          For the latter, I'd recommend the facsimilies of Roger Ascham's Toxophilus
                          (as I'm sure many others would).

                          For the former, let's see:
                          Alm's Survey of European Crossbows
                          Lamar Latham's Saracen Archery
                          Harmuth's Die Armbrust

                          And I'd have to grudgingly recommend Payne-Gallway's The Crossbow.

                          -Lyev Davidovitch (away from his library at the moment, those are the ones
                          that come to mind)

                        • Chad Wilson
                          Message 12 of 23 , Feb 19 6:20 AM
                            In addition to the books that have already been mentioned, here is a web site
                            that has some old books up for reading:

                            http://www.xs4all.nl/~marcelo/archery/library/

                            -Caedmon

                            http://shopping.yahoo.com
                          • James Brummet
                            Message 13 of 23 , Feb 19 6:28 AM
                              Once again :-) My thanks!

                              I think I just need to say thanks im advance to all the folks who are going to reply. I don't want to flood the boards with thank yous.

                              >>> caeman@... 02/19/03 07:20AM >>>
                              In addition to the books that have already been mentioned, here is a web site
                              that has some old books up for reading:

                              http://www.xs4all.nl/~marcelo/archery/library/

                              -Caedmon

                              http://shopping.yahoo.com

                            • Eadric Anstapa
                              Message 14 of 23 , Feb 19 7:38 AM
                                From: "James Brummet" <brummejr@...>

                                > Forgive me, I know we have gone over this before but my computer ate the
                                list I had made. What books would
                                > some of you recommend for a period archery library?

                                OK, I'll give ya a good 5 because my bookshelf is filling up and the list is
                                too long to type easily.

                                Well if you are looking for a "period" archery library then you gotta have
                                "Toxophilus" by Ascham.

                                Another good "period" book (but not the period that we research) is "The
                                Witchery of Archery" by Thompson. It's a good book and the equipment used
                                post Civil War is much closer to the equipment Ascham used that the
                                equipment you can buy at your typical archery shop today.

                                Perhaps my favorite is "The Grey Goose Wing" by Heath. A wonderful book but
                                if you want it be prepared to pay for it.

                                If you want to make bows (and arrows to a lesser extent) the "The Trational
                                Bowyers Bible" all three volumes are probably the most complete reference
                                you can get.

                                Another good book is "The Archers Craft" by Hodgkin. Almost the first third
                                of the book in on History with a long section on the Old English Archer and
                                a good bit devoted to Ascham. Then the book gets into making strings, bows,
                                arrows, and other sundry gear. It ends with sections on shooting, hunting,
                                and a good appendix.

                                Regards,

                                Lord Eadric Anstapa
                                Kingdom Archery Marshal, Ansteorra
                                eadric@...
                              • James Brummet
                                Message 15 of 23 , Feb 19 7:53 AM
                                  I have the The Witchery of Archery and loved it!

                                  >>> smills@... 02/19/03 08:38AM >>>

                                • laurnamacnear@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Feb 19 8:25 AM
                                    In a message dated 2/19/03 9:55:30 AM Central Standard Time,
                                    brummejr@... writes:

                                    I've heard that was a good one. I'm new to archery and picked up
                                    "Traditional Archery" by Sam Fadala. Is this a good one? It seems to have a
                                    lot of good information.

                                    Verica

                                  • ravnville@earthlink.net
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Feb 19 9:53 AM
                                      At 11:25 AM 2/19/03 EST, you wrote:
                                      >In a message dated 2/19/03 9:55:30 AM Central Standard Time,
                                      >brummejr@... writes:

                                      I found this book to have a good bit of 'how to' information (string and
                                      arrow making and so forth) and do not regret the purchase. On the other
                                      hand, it is far more geared toward modern (that is, bare-bow rather than
                                      primitive/period archery).

                                      My vote for an excellent read is _Zen in the Art of Archery_ (Eugen
                                      Herrigel, ISBN 0-375-70509-0).

                                      It doesn't actually have much in the way of 'practical' advice, and is more
                                      concerned with kyodo/eastern archery; but the lessons are invaluable so far
                                      as getting one's head in the right place and focusing on form. It's short
                                      (>100 pages) but I predict that any reader will take as much time as a 200
                                      page treatise, given the going back and re-reading and 'wait...what was
                                      that again?' tendency that I found myself experiencing. I especially
                                      reccomend it to those who find themselves getting hyper-concerned with
                                      score/ranks/winning...

                                      calum

                                      >I've heard that was a good one. I'm new to archery and picked up
                                      >"Traditional Archery" by Sam Fadala. Is this a good one? It seems to
                                      have a
                                      >lot of good information.
                                      >
                                      >Verica

                                    • Carolus Eulenhorst
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Feb 19 2:35 PM
                                        The Medieval Archer by Bradbury

                                        In service to the dream
                                        Carolus von Eulenhorst
                                        eulenhorst@...

                                        On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 07:03:30 -0500 Frederick Fenters
                                        <padraig@...> writes:
                                        > My personal recommendations:
                                        >
                                        > Longbow by Robert Hardy
                                        >
                                        > Crossbow by Sir Ralph Payne-Galloway
                                        >
                                        > The Traditional Bowyer's Bible (all volumes) various authors
                                        >

                                        > I will be interested to see what others add. All these are
                                        > available
                                        > through Amazon.com.
                                        >
                                        > Forester Padraig MacRaighne
                                        > Pentamere Archery Lt. General

                                        Only $9.95 per month!
                                        Visit www.juno.com
                                      • Godwin fitzGilbert <Godwin@rmci.net>
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Feb 20 6:53 AM
                                          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "James Brummet" <brummejr@f...>
                                          wrote:
                                          > Forgive me, I know we have gone over this before but my computer ate
                                          the list I had made. What books would some of you recommend for a
                                          period archery library?

                                          -----------------
                                          Amoungst the others listed add these:

                                          The Bowmen of England: Donald Featherstone.

                                          Archery: Elmer (good read)

                                          The whole series of "Legends of the Longbow" (about 12-14 volumes)
                                          in reprint by Glenn St. Charles. (from what I've seen, this is mostly
                                          the printed version of what you will find at:
                                          http://www.xs4all.nl/~marcelo/archery/library/ )

                                          Godwin
                                        • bnskezia <bnskezia@yahoo.com>
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Feb 20 7:20 AM
                                            The Mary Rose by Margaret Rule (Conway Maritime Press, ISBN 0 85177
                                            382 6) is interesting.

                                            Did you also want books on shooting technique? If so, the Archery
                                            for Beginners by John Williams (Contemporary Books, ISBN 0 8092 5256
                                            2) or Archery: Steps to Success by Kathleen Haywood and Catherine
                                            Lewis (Leisure Press, ISBN 0 88011 324 3).

                                            Kezia
                                            Lonely Tower/Omaha NE
                                            Calontir

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Feb 20 9:50 AM
                                              "Godwin fitzGilbert <Godwin@...>" <Godwin@...> said:

                                              > The whole series of "Legends of the Longbow" (about 12-14 volumes)
                                              > in reprint by Glenn St. Charles. (from what I've seen, this is mostly
                                              > the printed version of what you will find at:
                                              > http://www.xs4all.nl/~marcelo/archery/library/ )

                                              Actually there are 29 volumes in this library. They were printed by
                                              Derrydale press who still has a couple of the books for sale
                                              http://www.derrydalepress.com/ . These are some of my prized possessions.
                                              Some of the volumes actually have 2 books in them. Here are the 29 volumes
                                              of this library in order.

                                              1.ARCHERY - Longman and Walrond
                                              2.A STUDY OF BOWS AND ARROWS - Saxton Pope
                                              3.THE WITCHERY OF ARCHERY - Maurice Thompson
                                              4.TARGET ARCHERY - Robert Elmer
                                              5.ARCHERY THE TECHNICAL SIDE - Hickman/Nagler/Klopsteg
                                              6. TOXOPHILUS - Roger Ascham
                                              + ARCHERY, ITS THEORY AND PRACTICE - Horace Ford
                                              7.TURKISH ARCHERY - Paul Klopsteg
                                              + MODERN METHODS IN ARCHERY - Reichart/Keasy
                                              8.BOOK OF THE LONGBOW - Robert Elmer
                                              9.HUNTING THE HARD WAY - Howard Hill
                                              10.WILD ADVENTURE - HOWARD HILL
                                              11.ARCHERY - Robert Elmer
                                              12.HUNTING WITH THE BOW AND ARROW - Saxton Pope
                                              13.AMERICAN ARCHERY - Robert Elmer
                                              14.FRED BEAR'S FIELD NOTES - Fred Bear
                                              15.THE ARCHERS CRAFT - Adrian Hodgki,
                                              16.THE BOOK OF ARCHERY - George Agar Hansard
                                              17.SAGITTARIUS - Bob Swinehart
                                              18.THE COMPLETE BOOK OF THE BOW AND ARROW - Howard Gillelan
                                              19.ISHI IN TWO WORLDS - Kroeber
                                              20.A BIBLIOGRAPHY OF ARCHERY - Lake and Wright
                                              21.THE GREY GOOSE WING - E.G. Heath
                                              22.THE ADVENTUROUS BOWMEN - Saxton Pope
                                              23.YE SYLVAN ARCHER - Volume 1
                                              24.YE SYLVAN ARCHER - Volume 2
                                              25.YE SYLVAN ARCHER - Volume 3
                                              26.YE SYLVAN ARCHER - Volume 4
                                              27.YE SYLVAN ARCHER - Volume 5
                                              28.YE SLYVAN ARCHER - Volume 6
                                              29.YE SYLVAN ARCHER - Volume 7

                                              Regards,

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Feb 20 10:37 AM
                                                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Eadric Anstapa" <smills@s...>
                                                wrote:
                                                > "Godwin fitzGilbert <Godwin@r...>" <Godwin@r...> said:
                                                >

                                                > > The whole series of "Legends of the Longbow" (about 12-14 volumes)
                                                > > in reprint by Glenn St. Charles. (from what I've seen, this is
                                                mostly
                                                > > the printed version of what you will find at:
                                                > > http://www.xs4all.nl/~marcelo/archery/library/ )
                                                > >

                                                > Actually there are 29 volumes in this library.
                                                -snip-
                                                > Lord Eadric Anstapa
                                                > Kingdom Archery Marshal, Ansteorra
                                                > eadric@s...

                                                Lord Eadric, thanks for the clarification! I own a few of the series
                                                but not all.....yet.

                                                Godwin
                                              • James Brummet
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Mar 8, 2003
                                                  Okay it took me a bit longer then I thought (call me a busy beaver)
                                                  but here is the list of all the books you all kindly thought I
                                                  should read.

                                                  Longbow by Robert Hardy
                                                  Crossbow by Sir Ralph Payne-Galloway
                                                  The Traditional Bowyer's Bible by various authors
                                                  Survey of European Crossbows by Alm
                                                  Saracen Archery by Lamar Latham
                                                  Die Armbrust by Harmuth
                                                  The Crossbow by Payne-Gallway
                                                  Toxophilus by Ascham
                                                  The Witchery of Archery by Thompson
                                                  The Grey Goose Wing by Heath
                                                  The Trational Bowyers Bible by N/A
                                                  The Archers Craft by Hodgkin
                                                  Traditional Archery by Sam Fadala
                                                  Zen in the Art of Archery by Eugen Herrigel
                                                  The Medieval Archer by Bradbury
                                                  The Bowmen of England by Donald Featherstone
                                                  Archery by Elmer
                                                  The Mary Rose by Margaret Rule
                                                  Archery for Beginners by John Williams
                                                  Die Armbrust by Egon Harmuth
                                                  Survey of European Crossbows by Josef Alm
                                                  Toxophilus by Roger Ascham
                                                  Become the Arrow by Byron Ferguson
                                                  Advanced Archer:
                                                  How to Stay Calm at the Center" by Thomas Whitney and Vishnu
                                                  Karmakar
                                                  Legends of the Longbow by Glenn St. Charles

                                                  http://www.armouries.org.uk/publications/books/mono.html