question about combat archery shooting (IKCAC)

  • Evian Blackthorn
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 15, 2002
      This is in response to a thread on the SCA-Archery list, but
      has been posted to both the SCA-Archery and
      SCA-MissileCombat lists, while it is still being determined
      which list it should be on. (maybe both, since, while IKCAC
      is a target competition, most of the participants are mainly
      combat archers, not target archers???)

      A few points to consider:

      1. IKCAC (and IKAC, for that matter) is not an "official"
      SCA function, it is a privately run competition, which is
      set up totally outside of the 'official' SCA power
      structure.

      2. The rules and equipment requirements for IKCAC are such
      that no person is put at a disadvantage by these rules
      because they happen to live in a Kingdom that has
      requirements that would restrict their choices in equipment
      more than another Kingdom's rules do. If the individual
      chooses to wear more armor than SCA minimum standard armor,
      or use an arrow that has inferior flight characteristics to
      the arrow that has the best flight charactaristics, that is
      their choice, or the choice of their Kingdom, not because of
      the rules of IKCAC. This allows a person in Calontir, which
      allows the use of only golftube arrows on the actual combat
      field to compete on an equal basis with a person in Lochac,
      which requires only a rubber rabbit blunt on a shafted
      arrow. This allows a person in Ansteorra, where the actual
      combat field requirements specify that an archer must be
      armored to the same level as a heavy fighter, to compete on
      an equal basis with an archer from a Kingdom that allows
      much less armor, because all their archers are considered
      non-contact. ANYONE, ANYWHERE, is allowed, by IKCAC rules,
      to use armor that meets the lowest armor requirement of the
      SCA to get on a combat field as a combat archer, and is
      allowed, by IKCAC rules, to use any equipment that is legal
      somewhere in the SCA. That is the way it was set up
      originally, that is the way it is presently still set up,
      and if a person chooses to exercize these options, he is not
      'breaking' the spirit of the IKCAC rules. He is following
      exactly the spirit (and letter) of the IKCAC rules. By being
      allowed to use the absolutely lowest common denominator, all
      persons can compete equally.

      3. While no Kingdom may force IKCAC to change their rules,
      any Kingdom is perfectly free to restrict IKCAC competitions
      in their Kingdom to only the items allowed in their Kingdom,
      by simply refusing to allow the use of these non-allowed
      items anywhere in the Kingdom, for any reason. Of course,
      when they do so, they have placed the archers competing in
      IKCAC in their Kingdom at a possible disadvantage, and
      should not be surprized if their Kingdom is not competitive
      in IKCAC. For that matter, any marshal, in any Kingdom, can
      refuse to hold any IKCAC competitions if he so chooses, or
      he can require whatever equipment and/or armor he might
      choose to require at any competition he runs. He could allow
      persons with no armor, and Lochac arrows to compete in a
      'combat target' competition, regardless of the Kingdom or
      SCA rules, as long as the Kingdom or SCA does not have a
      specific written prohibition against doing so (the SCA does
      not prohibit such action, by the way). If the
      marshal/rangemaster wanted to do so, and the archers would
      shoot at them, he could allow target arrows with bodkin or
      any other point to be fired at standard IKCAC targets. But
      if the equipment used, the method of scoring, or the target
      type does not meet the requirements of IKCAC, he may not
      submit the scores to IKCAC as an official IKCAC score. As a
      last resort, a Kingdom could even prohibit any IKCAC
      competitions from being held inside the borders of their
      Kingdom, either by specific wording to that effect, naming
      IKCAC, or by simply banning all combat arrows from being
      shot at 'targets'.

      4. While IF the SCA required all the Kingdoms to allow only
      equipment legal in that individual Kingdom to be used, it
      might be a better guide to the comparative superiority of
      the individual Kingdoms equipment rules, and a better guide
      to the comparative superiority of combat archery as used
      INSIDE the individual Kingdoms, it would totally eliminate
      any chance to use IKCAC as a guide to the comparative
      superiority of the individual Kingdom's combat archers, as
      archers. It would not address the issue of the comparative
      superiority of the combat archers, as equiped for
      participation in interkingdom wars and melees, which is
      where most actual combat archery takes place. And like it or
      not, the IKCAC, just like the IKAC, was set up only to give
      a guide for the direct comparison of the archers, not the
      systems of combat archery used or the rules. If someone
      wants a way to compare rules or systems, they need to set up
      a different competition, under a different name, and
      administer it they way they think it should be administered.

      5."Combat target archery" and "IKCAC" are not freely
      interchangable concepts. All "IKCAC" competitions ARE
      "combat target archery", but not all "combat target archery"
      competitions are nor do they have to be, "IKCAC"
      competitions. That's my two cents worth.

      Evian Blackthorn of THE WEB
      http://www.spider-strands.com
    • wyvern@megahits.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 15, 2002
        On 15 Apr 2002 at 18:24, Evian Blackthorn wrote:

        > This is in response to a thread on the SCA-Archery list, but
        > has been posted to both the SCA-Archery and
        > SCA-MissileCombat lists, while it is still being determined
        > which list it should be on. (maybe both, since, while IKCAC
        > is a target competition, most of the participants are mainly
        > combat archers, not target archers???)

        You misunderstand, that determination has already been made. =)

        While the IKCAC nominally involves shooting at "targets," it is an
        attempt at a standard competition between archers using combat
        archery equipment. It makes no difference whether or not the archers
        participating in IKCACs also choose to use their equipment against live
        targets. (I seriously doubt that there are many (any?) archers who
        would go to the trouble to acquire combat archery tackle without
        intending to use it primarily for combat archery. =)

        YIS,
        Macsen
        (aka The Management)