Crossbow bolts

  • Scott L Hecathorn
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 23, 2002
      Has anyone ever tried using tapered shafts for crossbow bolts? If so, how
      did they fly?

      Robert

      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
    • ragnarketilsson
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 28, 2002
        Hi, Robert,

        Modern tapered shafts or reproduction 'coke bottle' bolts? I have
        tried the latter from an Iolo bow with a 135# Gladius prod, but had
        bad problems with precession( helicoptering). These were 3 bolts I
        got at a Will's Revenge one year, with standard field points. I
        suspect they would fly differently from a bolt rest, but they were
        very unstable in my bolt groove, very prone to jumping over the
        string.

        I've not tried modern tapered shafts, but now that you've brought up
        the idea, I may. Stay tuned to this channel...

        Keep the pointy stuff flying downrange,
        Ragnar Ketilsson
        BMDL, AEthelmearc

        --- In SCA-Archery@y..., Scott L Hecathorn <robert1015@j...> wrote:
        > Has anyone ever tried using tapered shafts for crossbow bolts? If
        so, how
        > did they fly?
        >
        > Robert

        > GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
        > http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
      • Scott L Hecathorn
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 28, 2002
          Hi,
          I was thinking modern taper. I'm thinking about upping my poundage,
          but I will need heavier bolts to drop my point of aim. As it is, at 100#
          I need 22 1/2" bolts to hit dead on at 20yds, so if tapered shafts work
          than that would add some much needed weight to the front end. My main
          consern would be, since the shaft would get thinner towards the knock
          end, how would that affect the flight and deprature form the bow? Would
          it just have more reason to jump the string? I shoot off of two rounded
          carpet tacks as a bolt rest. Would this set up have too much of an angle
          against the string for it to fly properly?

          Thanx,
          Rob

          On Thu, 28 Mar 2002 21:15:26 -0000 "ragnarketilsson"
          <dhumbers@...> writes:
          > Hi, Robert,
          >
          > Modern tapered shafts or reproduction 'coke bottle' bolts? I have
          > tried the latter from an Iolo bow with a 135# Gladius prod, but had
          >
          > bad problems with precession( helicoptering). These were 3 bolts I
          >
          > got at a Will's Revenge one year, with standard field points. I
          > suspect they would fly differently from a bolt rest, but they were
          > very unstable in my bolt groove, very prone to jumping over the
          > string.
          >
          > I've not tried modern tapered shafts, but now that you've brought up
          >
          > the idea, I may. Stay tuned to this channel...
          >
          > Keep the pointy stuff flying downrange,
          > Ragnar Ketilsson
          > BMDL, AEthelmearc

          GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
          http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
        • Mark Hendershott
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 10, 2003
            I'm starting to build a crossbow using Gladius parts. The prod will be his
            #1316, 115-135 lbs. Any beginning specifications for building
            bolts? Suggested spine, point weight?

            Thanks as usual.

            Simon Sinneghe
            Briaroak, Summits, An Tir
          • Allan B Zdarsky
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 11, 2003
              On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 16:46:37 -0700 Mark Hendershott <crimlaw@...>
              writes:
              > I'm starting to build a crossbow using Gladius parts. The prod will
              > be his
              > #1316, 115-135 lbs. Any beginning specifications for building
              > bolts? Suggested spine, point weight?
              >
              > Thanks as usual.
              >
              > Simon Sinneghe
              > Briaroak, Summits, An Tir
              The bolts I use started as full length 11/32" shafts, cut in half and
              trimmed til they were as close a match as I could get. I don't worry
              much about the spine; but the weight is critical. My last batch started
              as 3 dozen weighed to within 10 grains (full length), cut, finished,
              tapered (I use a press fit nock for my fletching jig) then straightened,
              reweighed and split into the 6 dozen (lightest to heaviest). The worst
              dozen of the bunch weighed in at just under 4 grains difference within
              the dozen. I use 100 grain tips (also weighed to within a quarter
              grain). They are fletched with 3" feathers at 180* using fletching tape,
              and cut square using a high speed saw. I have only two problems with
              these bolts - 1. they disappear into the bales occasionally and 2. I
              always seem to Robin Hood at least one (usually in the blue or black) the
              first time out. My crossbow doesn't seem to like the 20" bolts that so
              many others do. Maybe the new one I'm having made will like them
              better...we'll see.
              Shoot Straight
              Archos Aleksei Zateev, OGGS
              An Tir
            • James W. Pratt, Jr.
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 17, 2003
                Just got back from Pennsic saw Gladius. He shot on the Champion's team with
                us. The East won all events by a few arrows.

                Spine for crossbows bolts is a minor point we use 55 to 65 because we use
                the best shafts out of a hundred for arrows. Diameter is more important: we
                use 11/32, 5/16 is to small to make good contact with the string, 23/64 does
                not fit the design of my bows. Fitting between the horns of a roller nut is
                important. Make or barrow two or four half shafts to see how they fly. 100
                to 160 grain feild tips are what we use most of the time, the new brass
                bullet(100-125 grain) is what some have been using. What are using for a
                nut/release?

                James Cunningham

              • badger5149@aol.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 17, 2003
                  In a message dated 8/17/2003 10:11:43 AM Pacific Standard Time,
                  cunning@... writes:

                  > Fitting between the horns of a roller nut is
                  > important. Make or barrow two or four half shafts to see how they fly. 100

                  I just finished my first crossbow last week, I see a few changes i will make
                  on the next one but i was very pleased with my roller nut design, I am a
                  diesel truck mechanic and i used a cam roller off of the brakes, was a simple
                  matter to braise on some horns using coathangers and brass, they only cost about 2
                  bucks each and by the nature of there design all they are missing is the
                  horns. badger

                • NtxDvr
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 17, 2008
                    Greetings!
                    For the past year I have been using a recurve bow, now and am getting into combat archery and crossbow.
                    My questions are -
                    what are target bolts/arrows for SCA targets made of? Wood? or Metal?
                    Where can I get them or do I have to make them?
                    Same thing applies to combat bolts - blunts are made of what?
                    Siloflex - I have seen - so not an issue.
                    Thanks
                    Lady C of EK South.

                  • Eadric Anstapa
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 17, 2008
                      This list is for Target Archery discussion. The SCA wide rules can be
                      found here.

                      http://www.sca.org/officers/marshal/combat/t_archery/

                      Wooden shafts only.

                      Combat Archery is discussed here:

                      and the SCA-wide rules for combat archery are found here:

                      http://www.sca.org/officers/marshal/combat/c_archery/

                      Your kingdom may have additional restrictions that apply, particularly
                      for Combat Archery, so you should ALWAYS talk to you local marshallate
                      before investing in CA equipment and find out what exactly is allowed
                      where you live.

                      Regards,

                      -EA

                      NtxDvr wrote:
                      > Greetings!
                      > For the past year I have been using a recurve bow, now and am getting into combat archery and crossbow.
                      > My questions are -
                      > what are target bolts/arrows for SCA targets made of? Wood? or Metal?
                      > Where can I get them or do I have to make them?
                      > Same thing applies to combat bolts - blunts are made of what?
                      > Siloflex - I have seen - so not an issue.
                      > Thanks
                      > Lady C of EK South.

                    • Frederick Fenters
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 17, 2008
                        Crossbow bolts, as regular arrows need to be of wood shaft with points that
                        will be minimally destructive to the targets. Fletching is allowed to be
                        feathers or leather/parchment, documentable to period. Kingslayer Armory
                        and Merrick Armory both sell crossbow bolts, but I usually make my own. I
                        use the heaviest available spined 11/32 shafting and make LONG (24 inch)
                        bolts, as I shoot a 150 pound prod. The greater length allows me to select
                        an aiming point that is still on the paper of a 60 cm target at 20 yards.

                        Check with your kingdom Earl Marshal's office for specs on what is permitted
                        for CA.

                        Forester Padraig MacRaighne

                        Middle Kingdom

                        _____

                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 18, 2008
                          All target arrows in the SCA must be wood shafts. Many Fletchers will
                          make crossbow bolts - just ask and you'll more than likely get a price
                          quote. Where are you located in EK South? You should be aware that
                          there are some funny laws in New Jersey regarding the use of crossbows -
                          even for target practice. It's always good to check your state and even
                          local laws to be sure that you won't run into problems.

                          Laurens

                          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, NtxDvr <ntxdvr@...> wrote:

                          > Greetings!
                          > For the past year I have been using a recurve bow, now and am getting
                          into combat archery and crossbow.
                          > My questions are -
                          > what are target bolts/arrows for SCA targets made of? Wood? or Metal?
                          > Where can I get them or do I have to make them?
                          > Same thing applies to combat bolts - blunts are made of what?
                          > Siloflex - I have seen - so not an issue.
                          > Thanks
                          > Lady C of EK South.

                        • Dayrl Merrill
                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 18, 2008
                            If you can't find anyone else I make croosbow bolts for the SCA.

                            Rask Ulfbjorn

                            Laura wrote:

                            > All target arrows in the SCA must be wood shafts. Many Fletchers will
                            > make crossbow bolts - just ask and you'll more than likely get a price
                            > quote. Where are you located in EK South? You should be aware that
                            > there are some funny laws in New Jersey regarding the use of crossbows -
                            > even for target practice. It's always good to check your state and even
                            > local laws to be sure that you won't run into problems.
                            >
                            > Laurens
                            >
                            > --- In SCA-Archery@ yahoogroups. com
                            > <mailto:SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com>, NtxDvr <ntxdvr@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Greetings!
                            > > For the past year I have been using a recurve bow, now and am getting
                            > into combat archery and crossbow.
                            > > My questions are -
                            > > what are target bolts/arrows for SCA targets made of? Wood? or Metal?
                            > > Where can I get them or do I have to make them?
                            > > Same thing applies to combat bolts - blunts are made of what?
                            > > Siloflex - I have seen - so not an issue.
                            > > Thanks
                            > > Lady C of EK South.

                          • Scott B. Jaqua
                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 18, 2008
                              Here is a link to how my wife and I make bolts for our Iolo crossbows.

                              http://www.hagersonforge.com/bolts.htm

                              While we have excellent results with this process, there are other ways
                              that work for other people. So take it for what it is worth.

                              Njall

                              --
                              Scott B. Jaqua
                              Hagerson Forge
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 25, 2013
                                Hello all,

                                Can anyone direct me to a reliable vendor for crossbow bolts?

                                The vendor I used to use is not currently making any bolts or arrows due to time constraints.

                                I used to make my own arrows, have never done bolts, and don't really have the time to do it myself anymore.

                                Any help would be much appreciated.
                              • James Koch
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 26, 2013
                                  Aloring,

                                  Go to " http://www.alcheminc.com" and select the crossbow page.  Scroll to the bottom of the page for links to a couple bolt makers.  These people are not cheap, but they make excellent custom bolts.

                                  Jim Koch "Gladius The Alchemist"

                                  >  At 02:23 AM 6/26/2013, aloring2909 wrote:

                                  Hello all,

                                  Can anyone direct me to a reliable vendor for crossbow bolts?

                                  The vendor I used to use is not currently making any bolts or arrows due to time constraints.

                                  I used to make my own arrows, have never done bolts, and don't really have the time to do it myself anymore.

                                  Any help would be much appreciated.

                                • hugo_von_gutenbach
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jun 26, 2013
                                    Thank you.

                                    I will check them out. It appears it is just an email and no web page for the first one? I see Arbalest has some options.