Re: (fwd) Longbow Supplier? (fwd)

  • D Humberson
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 8, 1999
      Jim,

      Believe it or not, she can get a real nice handmade selfbow from Taylor Made
      Bows for under $50, as long as she's willing to wait a couple of months for
      it. When I was Endless hill's captain of archers, we had one in the loaner
      gear, and it shot real nice.

      With luck, someone else will have an address - I'm at work.

      Ragnar Ketilsson

      >From: John Edgerton <sirjon@...>
      >To: sca archery <sca-archery@onelist.com>
      >Subject: [SCA-Archery] (fwd) Longbow Supplier? (fwd)
      >Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 15:25:52 -0700 (PDT)
      >
      >From the Rialto, please reply to sender of message

    • Carl West at home
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 8, 1999
        D Humberson wrote:

        > From: "D Humberson" <dhumbers@...>
        >
        > Jim,
        >
        > Believe it or not, she can get a real nice handmade selfbow from Taylor Made
        > Bows for under $50, as long as she's willing to wait a couple of months for
        > it. When I was Endless hill's captain of archers, we had one in the loaner
        > gear, and it shot real nice.

        I've had a couple of his bows and they shot very nicely and were quite
        pretty . Unfortunately he doesn't seen to tiller them out past about 27"
        of draw in spite of being asked to take it out to 30". I draw 29"+ and
        the bows have chrysaled in both limbs.

        If her draw is less than 27", then I'd say give Taylor a try.

        Fritz

        --
        Carl West
        mailto:eisen@...

        Experience Real-Time Full-Motion Hi-res 3D with Surround Sound! Step Outside.
      • James Koch
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 11, 1999
          At 01:17 AM 10/8/99 EDT, you wrote:
          >From: WUNERFUL@...
          >
          >I'd love to help, but a pair of Yew billets for a bow runs about 50 bucks,
          >with other materials a finished bow might cost 75 to 100 just to make.
          That's
          >not even thinking of labor! (one of my problems at the moment is finding
          hemp
          >cord to make strings!)
          > However, when done I have a fairly sweet shooting English long bow, with a
          >nicely rounded cross section, horn nocks, ect...
          >
          >I've got some osage on the way, but that costs the same as yew. I havent
          >built any out of other woods yet.
          >
          >Good luck with her search, though!
          >Wuner (Craig Toth)

          Craig,

          What diameter hemp are you seeking. I buy it locally to bind and string
          crossbows. There are several online suppliers and most cities have hemp
          specialty shops. Hemp string is also sold for macrame and beading.

          Jim Koch
          James Koch