Re: (fwd) Longbow Supplier? (fwd)

  • WUNERFUL@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 7 10:17 PM
      I'd love to help, but a pair of Yew billets for a bow runs about 50 bucks,
      with other materials a finished bow might cost 75 to 100 just to make. That's
      not even thinking of labor! (one of my problems at the moment is finding hemp
      cord to make strings!)
      However, when done I have a fairly sweet shooting English long bow, with a
      nicely rounded cross section, horn nocks, ect...

      I've got some osage on the way, but that costs the same as yew. I havent
      built any out of other woods yet.

      Good luck with her search, though!
      Wuner (Craig Toth)
    • D Humberson
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 8 7:18 AM
        Jim,

        Believe it or not, she can get a real nice handmade selfbow from Taylor Made
        Bows for under $50, as long as she's willing to wait a couple of months for
        it. When I was Endless hill's captain of archers, we had one in the loaner
        gear, and it shot real nice.

        With luck, someone else will have an address - I'm at work.

        Ragnar Ketilsson

        >From: John Edgerton <sirjon@...>
        >To: sca archery <sca-archery@onelist.com>
        >Subject: [SCA-Archery] (fwd) Longbow Supplier? (fwd)
        >Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 15:25:52 -0700 (PDT)
        >
        >From the Rialto, please reply to sender of message

      • Carl West at home
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 8 6:44 PM
          D Humberson wrote:

          > From: "D Humberson" <dhumbers@...>
          >
          > Jim,
          >
          > Believe it or not, she can get a real nice handmade selfbow from Taylor Made
          > Bows for under $50, as long as she's willing to wait a couple of months for
          > it. When I was Endless hill's captain of archers, we had one in the loaner
          > gear, and it shot real nice.

          I've had a couple of his bows and they shot very nicely and were quite
          pretty . Unfortunately he doesn't seen to tiller them out past about 27"
          of draw in spite of being asked to take it out to 30". I draw 29"+ and
          the bows have chrysaled in both limbs.

          If her draw is less than 27", then I'd say give Taylor a try.

          Fritz

          --
          Carl West
          mailto:eisen@...

          Experience Real-Time Full-Motion Hi-res 3D with Surround Sound! Step Outside.
        • James Koch
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 11 3:48 PM
            At 01:17 AM 10/8/99 EDT, you wrote:
            >From: WUNERFUL@...
            >
            >I'd love to help, but a pair of Yew billets for a bow runs about 50 bucks,
            >with other materials a finished bow might cost 75 to 100 just to make.
            That's
            >not even thinking of labor! (one of my problems at the moment is finding
            hemp
            >cord to make strings!)
            > However, when done I have a fairly sweet shooting English long bow, with a
            >nicely rounded cross section, horn nocks, ect...
            >
            >I've got some osage on the way, but that costs the same as yew. I havent
            >built any out of other woods yet.
            >
            >Good luck with her search, though!
            >Wuner (Craig Toth)

            Craig,

            What diameter hemp are you seeking. I buy it locally to bind and string
            crossbows. There are several online suppliers and most cities have hemp
            specialty shops. Hemp string is also sold for macrame and beading.

            Jim Koch
            James Koch