points: suggestions?

  • Geordon VanTassle

      Hello ,

      As a beginning archer, what sort of points would be recommended for
      me to get for use on the target range? I'm in the process of
      getting a kit together, and am looking for arrows, specifically.

      Thanks!

      - --
      Best regards,
      Geordon mailto:gvantass@...
      PGP Key ID: 0xFCF06B79
      Your Fortune ==> "A business whose only goal is profit is a poor kind of business."

    • Scott L Hecathorn
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 3, 2002
        Most commonly, we use field tips. I would also recomend chisel (target)
        tips, if you can find them. There are also bullet tips, but they are very
        rounded (much like there name sake) and bounce outs are quite common.
        Period bodkin points can be used if they are round enough in the actual
        tip, many marshalls don't want there tarets chewwed up with sharp edges.
        The SCA does not allow broadheads, to destructive and very unsafe if
        something goes wrong. You can find field tips at any archery equipment
        dealer, just make sure they are glue ons if you are using wooden shafts.
        Chisel tips, 3Rivers (www.3RiversArchery.com) have chisels for 5/16
        shafts (which is the smallest shaft size we use commertially) but only
        come in 70grs. Bullet tips, I haven't seen around much, but I haven't
        specifically been looking for them. You can find Period Bodkin Points
        (most of the marshallate I've asked would allow me to shoot these at
        targtes) at Historic Arms & Armour (www.historicenterprises.com). They
        are a bit pricey, and don't hold up at all if you hit anything hard. But
        once you get the hang of what your doing they do make pretty Presentation
        arrows, and they do shoot decently. But for strating out, I wouldn't use
        them. I would say your best chance would be the field tips because you
        can get them everywhere.

        Robert

        On Fri, 1 Mar 2002 18:01:11 -0600 Geordon VanTassle
        <gvantass@...> writes:

        > list]
        >

        > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
      • Scott L Hecathorn
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 3, 2002
          Has anyone tried out 3Rivers' new damascus heads? I was just wondering
          how they shot/flew/held up.

          Robert
          GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
          http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
        • Shaun Hagan
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 2, 2003
            Greetings,
            Standard field points are the the usual thing for SCA archery. You
            can buy them at most hunting shops. Most wooden arrows will come with
            them already on them. Boradhead points are a definate No, they rend to
            chew up targets and they aren't allowed on SCA ranges.
            Wooden arrows aren't usually too hard to find. You can order them
            over the internet, buy them at hunt shops, or get a fletching jug and
            make your own. I would suggest you go to a hunt shop with your bow and
            get a set that is well matched to it.

            Sean O'Hagan
            Malagentia- East Kingdom