Recurve Shopping

  • storm71097@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 28, 2002
      Ok.. I am sure this will seem an odd and perhaps
      too open a question... but here goes:

      Suppose you had sold off your lower three bows,
      had roughly $1000 to buy a one-piece recurve bow
      and only one bow, wanted it in the 50# range,
      were concerned about "everything" (flatshooting,
      handshock, drift, style/elegance, resale (maybe
      someday anyway), etc so as not to leave out some
      item of importance)...

      What should I buy? I am NOT interested in buying
      the bow used, not going to buy the bow from
      anyone on this list or their friends, not
      interested in anything but true, honest answers
      about what I should get for traditional one-piece
      recurve archery. I know lots of people are
      attached to their own bow due to
      "history/memories" but I am more looking for the
      real experts on this list to give me their wisdom
      and their scholarly advice...

      I find myself often drawn to the Black Widows and
      then am drawn away by a single but reputable
      archer who says "handshock" in the new ones... I
      have heard other issues with some of the other
      top brand names...

      So again.. money-saving not being the issue
      within the under $1000 range... what do the
      wisest of the archery sages recommend?

      Respectfully,

      Tobyn Kembold, Master Bowman

      =====
      "Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons for they are subtle and quick to anger."

      http://greetings.yahoo.com
    • Carolus Eulenhorst
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 28, 2002
        My initial recommendation would be anything built by Norm Richards, a
        Lord Mercury, or a 1-piece Hoyt Gold Medalist in that order but these are
        out because they are no longer available new and you said you didn't want
        to buy used. If you are interested in period try one of the Huns or
        Magyars from www.horsebows.com. Otherwise haunt your proshops and shoot
        whatever you can try until you find what fits you.

        In service to the dream
        Carolus von Eulenhorst
        eulenhorst@...

        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 28, 2002
          www.horsebows.com I tried this URL and it didnt
          work.

          http://greetings.yahoo.com
        • John Rockwell
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 28, 2002
            I just tried the site and had no problems getting connected. try it
            again. Looking at the way you typed in the address it looks like you
            added some spaces where they don't belong

            --- Shane Evans <richarddevere@...> wrote:
            > www.horsebows.com I tried this URL and it didnt
            > work.

            > http://greetings.yahoo.com

            > list]
            >

            > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            =====
            In Service to my Kingdom and Archery

            Lord Ian Griffen the Archer
            Companion of the Azure Archer
            Deputy Royal Archer Kingdom of Atenveldt

            http://greetings.yahoo.com
          • Jaime Tiampo
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 28, 2002
              storm71097@... wrote:

              > Suppose you had sold off your lower three bows,
              > had roughly $1000 to buy a one-piece recurve bow
              > and only one bow, wanted it in the 50# range,
              > were concerned about "everything" (flatshooting,
              > handshock, drift, style/elegance, resale (maybe
              > someday anyway), etc so as not to leave out some
              > item of importance)...

              hmm.. I'd go for a Kassai from www.horsebows.com. Depending on the style
              you prefer (symetrical or A symetrical) a Hun or Mongol would be your
              best bet. I bought a hun and think it's worth every penny.

              --
              Ts'ai T'ien-p'u
            • Scott L Hecathorn
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 1 5:25 AM
                All right, while not being an "expert" in this topic, I just thought I'd
                throw in my opinion. I personally would recommend a Ben Pearson Colt, I'm
                not sure if they still are in production now, I did shoot one and out
                grew it, but I would trade in my current bow without a thought to get a
                colt again. It had little to no handshock, didn't stack much, and I say
                this because I was a we little one when I was shooting it. But I haven't
                seen new Colts being advertised anymore, so I don't think they are being
                made. I would recommend a Mamba recurve,which you can get from 3Rivers.
                They are very fast, smooth, and powerful little bows that many people who
                tried one out at an event (who no what they are doing :) picked one up
                and said "WOW, Thats a smooth bow, and did you see that arrow go??!!?!"
                The only downside I have with these bows are there cursed little hand
                grips! You didn't specify that aspect in your original statement, so if
                you like the thinner grips this bow is definitely worth a look, but if
                you're like me and need a chunk of tree in your hand, than this one
                really doesn't fit. The best thing I would say is go to an archery shop
                and try stuff out. Thats the only way to really get a good feel for what
                your getting.

                On to a personal note, I've seen several people shoot Black Widow bows
                and I can really say that I'm not impressed with them. It's really the
                archer behind the bow and not the bow itself. Granted you will get good,
                and people will say "Oh well gee, He's got himself a Black Widow bow,
                those will do that right from the store." Hogwash. I know many people who
                are shooting 105+ scores with recurves and they never have touched a
                Black Widow. As long as you practice and get accostomed to your
                equipment, you out shoot any top of the line stuff.

                Robert
                GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
              • Jack Bradley
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 1 5:37 AM
                  Ok my 2 cents
                  For the past 20 years I've been using bows made by Mike Fedora There very pretty &
                  the fastest thing I've ever used
                  Ragnar Two Ax

                  storm71097@... wrote:

                  > Ok.. I am sure this will seem an odd and perhaps
                  > too open a question... but here goes:
                  >
                  > Suppose you had sold off your lower three bows,
                  > had roughly $1000 to buy a one-piece recurve bow
                  > and only one bow, wanted it in the 50# range,
                  > were concerned about "everything" (flatshooting,
                  > handshock, drift, style/elegance, resale (maybe
                  > someday anyway), etc so as not to leave out some
                  > item of importance)...
                  >
                  > What should I buy? I am NOT interested in buying
                  > the bow used, not going to buy the bow from
                  > anyone on this list or their friends, not
                  > interested in anything but true, honest answers
                  > about what I should get for traditional one-piece
                  > recurve archery. I know lots of people are
                  > attached to their own bow due to
                  > "history/memories" but I am more looking for the
                  > real experts on this list to give me their wisdom
                  > and their scholarly advice...
                  >
                  > I find myself often drawn to the Black Widows and
                  > then am drawn away by a single but reputable
                  > archer who says "handshock" in the new ones... I
                  > have heard other issues with some of the other
                  > top brand names...
                  >
                  > So again.. money-saving not being the issue
                  > within the under $1000 range... what do the
                  > wisest of the archery sages recommend?
                  >
                  > Respectfully,
                  >
                  > Tobyn Kembold, Master Bowman
                  >
                  > =====
                  > "Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons for they are subtle and quick to anger."

                  > http://greetings.yahoo.com

                • storm71097
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 1 7:13 AM
                    I am taking in all the ideas... I ABSOLUTELY understand the need for
                    practice and for technique so it is not that I am trying to cut those
                    corners but more that feeling of "if I am going to sell off all
                    my 'other' bows to get down to a single one for logistics, arrow
                    matching/spine-ing, etc... what should I get". And I also
                    appreciate the "try one" theory but that results in basically going
                    to various dealers, using a good couple hours on each bow to see if
                    it performs as desired, then TRYING to compare to the
                    nebulous 'others' out there that I someday will say 'wish I had known
                    about THAT one".

                    But i am listening and hope others will chime in as well.. please :-)

                    Tobyn
                  • Shane Evans
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 1 7:20 AM
                      I am looking for a source for period looking long
                      bows, and short bows that would be good for mounted
                      archery.

                      http://greetings.yahoo.com
                    • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 1 7:31 AM
                        Either: www.woodbows.com
                        or: www.baronbows.com

                        Siegfried

                        At 07:20 AM 3/1/2002 -0800, you wrote:
                        >I am looking for a source for period looking long
                        >bows, and short bows that would be good for mounted
                        >archery.

                        >Yahoo! Greetings - Send FREE e-cards for every occasion!
                        >http://greetings.yahoo.com

                      • Malone, Nicholas S.
                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 1 7:58 AM
                          http://www.horsebows.com/bows.html#mongol

                          Definitely one solid way to go!!

                          Nicholas S. Malone
                          Information Systems Supervisor
                          Virginia Department of Transportation
                          Transportation Planning Division
                          1401 East Broad Street, Room 113
                          Richmond, VA 23219
                          P: 804.786.1124
                          F: 804.225.4785
                          Nicholas.Malone@...

                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 1 9:20 AM
                            Greetings,
                            If you have $1000.00 to spend on a bow, you can get just about
                            any bow you would want with the exception of those aluminum/carbon
                            precision arrow- launching-machine-monsters that they shoot in NAA and
                            FITA.
                            Think big. Don't settle for the "production" bows that have been
                            mentioned so far (Black Widow and Fedora excepted) have your dream bow
                            made for you by a top notch custom bowyer. Before you buy and settle on
                            a bowyer, go to one of the larger traditional archer rendezvous and see
                            what's available and speak with the bowyer. There is a major rendezvous
                            in July at Denton Hill (Penn.) where many great bowyers show up. Check
                            the magazines,
                            Trad. Bowhunter, Primitive Archer, Instinctive Archer,for ads for up
                            coming events.
                            I like Texas Longbow and Recurve, as as bowyers, Bill Matlock and
                            Herb Meiland are others. These people all make beautiful (traditional
                            looking) recurves and longbows, (no big cut-out
                            windows or pistol-grips) just FAST shooting accurate bows that have no
                            string-follow or hand-shock. They will make the bow to your specs, draw
                            weight,
                            draw length, look and color. IT will cost you between $450-$800.
                            Respectfully,
                            -Geoffrei

                          • storm71097
                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 1 10:30 AM
                              Anyone have an opinion on the Brackenbury Take-downs? I am
                              partial to the look of the one-piece but since Brackenbury Bows
                              is kind enough to be donating their top model (Phantom) to
                              Pennsic for an award I figure he deserves highest consideration.
                              does anyone have experience with those vs. the Navejo or other
                              take-downs? (plus I am still soliciting info on one-piece models
                              but my fallback position might be to instead get a takedown)

                              Respectfully,

                              Tobyn Kembold

                              FYI - That Brackenbury will be at Pennsic available for people to
                              "try out" with a dozen matching arrows before it is given away. I
                              am not sure of the logistics but while I was thinking of it I wanted
                              to mention it... lots of other goodies to be given as awards too
                              for Novelty Shoots so watch for it! (Longbows, spined arrow sets,
                              bracers, garb, accessories, a crossbow, etc)
                            • Chad Wilson
                              Message 14 of 20 , Mar 1 10:33 AM
                                Personally, I wouldn't spend all $1,000 on a new bow. I would find a good
                                quality bow at $500 or less, buy a couple dozen arrows tuned just for that bow
                                save the rest of the money.

                                -Caedmon

                                http://greetings.yahoo.com
                              • storm71097
                                Message 15 of 20 , Mar 1 11:32 AM
                                  --- In SCA-Archery@y..., Chad Wilson <caeman@y...> wrote:
                                  > Personally, I wouldn't spend all $1,000 on a new bow. I would
                                  find a good
                                  > quality bow at $500 or less, buy a couple dozen arrows tuned
                                  just for that bow
                                  > save the rest of the money.
                                  >
                                  > -Caedmon

                                  Excellent point... I do not intend to just spend the $1000 dollars
                                  just to be "showey" (I'd gladly spend less if there was a
                                  concensus of "best") but I look at the Black Widows going for
                                  nearly $1000 and wonder if it is worth the money (obviously
                                  some say it is indeed (not excluding our wonderful Captain
                                  General of Archers in the East) and if a Widow is not then what
                                  is. I don't want just a "good" bow so much as I want to make an
                                  investment in what is hopefully my "last and only bow" (in hope
                                  anyway - I am sure someday I will get a longbow to play with as
                                  well)... my green Bear Kodiak 40# was a very "good" bow but
                                  now that another friend has taken a shine to it, wants the 3 dozen
                                  spined arrows to go with it, has made me a fair and decent offer
                                  for it, and I am looking for that "last purchase" bow, I want to be
                                  sure I get one I will be satisfied with as the "best" bow.

                                  Respectfully,

                                  Tobyn
                                • Greg Christensen
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Mar 1 6:00 PM
                                    Why don't you just go to Denton Hill at the end of July in Northern
                                    Pennsyvnia. It is just before Pennsic and it is the Eastern Traditional
                                    Archery Rendeznous. You can try all the bows made by custom bow makers and
                                    compare them before you buy one. Everyone has their favarite and you won't
                                    beable to get everyone to agree on one bow. It is a personal
                                    thing.......... ;)

                                    GREGGE the ARCHER

                                  • Chad and Erin Wilson
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Mar 2 5:27 AM
                                      For a thousand, one could place an order for a gaggle of yew staves and all of
                                      the appropriate equipment to make a bow. Also, the Woodchuck Power Taper Tool
                                      for making one's own arrows, a set of needle files for making self-nocks, and
                                      maybe even that jig that tapers arrows for tapered arrow shooting.

                                      -Caedmon
                                    • Brad Boda d'Aylward
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Mar 4 2:53 PM
                                        Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Recurve Shopping

                                        >Why don't you just go to Denton Hill at the end of July in Northern
                                        >Pennsyvnia. It is just before Pennsic and it is the Eastern Traditional
                                        >Archery Rendeznous. You can try all the bows made by custom bow makers and
                                        >compare them before you buy one. Everyone has their favarite and you won't
                                        >beable to get everyone to agree on one bow. It is a personal
                                        >thing.......... ;)
                                        >
                                        >GREGGE the ARCHER

                                        Although I only live about an hour away from Denton Hill ski resort, I still
                                        haven't made it. I hear that it is the equvalent of the traditional bowyer's
                                        Pennsic. Master Spence Colby usually puts together a medieval encampment and
                                        a number of gentles from Æthelmearc and East Kingdoms shoot the ranges in
                                        garb. Picture the merchants at Pennsic. Same, same, except all the merchants
                                        are selling only archery equipment. You will be able to test shoot many of
                                        the bows available at Denton. If they don't got it, it ain't for sale.

                                        Brad
                                      • Nest verch Tangwistel
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Mar 5 1:03 PM

                                          > Although I only live about an hour away from Denton Hill ski resort, I
                                          > still
                                          > haven't made it. I hear that it is the equvalent of the traditional
                                          > bowyer's
                                          > Pennsic. Master Spence Colby usually puts together a medieval encampment
                                          > and
                                          > a number of gentles from �thelmearc and East Kingdoms shoot the ranges
                                          > in
                                          > garb. Picture the merchants at Pennsic. Same, same, except all the
                                          > merchants
                                          > are selling only archery equipment. You will be able to test shoot many
                                          > of
                                          > the bows available at Denton. If they don't got it, it ain't for sale.
                                          >
                                          > Brad

                                          Does anyone have any more information on this get together? Do they have a
                                          website? Someone gave me a pamphlet about it years ago, but of course I
                                          lost it long ago. It sounds like great fun.

                                          Nest

                                          http://mail.yahoo.com/
                                        • Brad Boda d'Aylward
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Mar 6 5:03 PM

                                            >Does anyone have any more information on this get together? Do they have a
                                            >website? Someone gave me a pamphlet about it years ago, but of course I
                                            >lost it long ago. It sounds like great fun.
                                            >
                                            >Nest

                                            I forwarded your missive to Master Spence who may address any and all
                                            questions you may have concerning this 'event'.

                                            Brad