Re: (fwd) Longbow Supplier? (fwd)

  • BLOODSNG@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 7, 1999
      write me privatley I have several bows for sale

      A young lady in our group is looking to purchase a longbow and to date
      has been unable to find a supplier to meet her needs. Her ideal bow is
      a D-section, yew, highly efficient, non_stacking, self bow, made
      entirely of period materials and using period tools, for anywhere from
      free to $50.00 US. Of course she is willing to compromise somewhat.
      She'd probably be happy with a flat bow of ash for up to $100.00 US.

      Has anyone recently purchased a good longbow from an SCA (or other
      traditional) bowyer. If so, please apprise us regarding contact
      information for the maker.

    • WUNERFUL@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 7, 1999
        I'd love to help, but a pair of Yew billets for a bow runs about 50 bucks,
        with other materials a finished bow might cost 75 to 100 just to make. That's
        not even thinking of labor! (one of my problems at the moment is finding hemp
        cord to make strings!)
        However, when done I have a fairly sweet shooting English long bow, with a
        nicely rounded cross section, horn nocks, ect...

        I've got some osage on the way, but that costs the same as yew. I havent
        built any out of other woods yet.

        Good luck with her search, though!
        Wuner (Craig Toth)
      • D Humberson
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 8, 1999
          Jim,

          Believe it or not, she can get a real nice handmade selfbow from Taylor Made
          Bows for under $50, as long as she's willing to wait a couple of months for
          it. When I was Endless hill's captain of archers, we had one in the loaner
          gear, and it shot real nice.

          With luck, someone else will have an address - I'm at work.

          Ragnar Ketilsson

          >From: John Edgerton <sirjon@...>
          >To: sca archery <sca-archery@onelist.com>
          >Subject: [SCA-Archery] (fwd) Longbow Supplier? (fwd)
          >Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 15:25:52 -0700 (PDT)
          >
          >From the Rialto, please reply to sender of message

        • Carl West at home
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 8, 1999
            D Humberson wrote:

            > From: "D Humberson" <dhumbers@...>
            >
            > Jim,
            >
            > Believe it or not, she can get a real nice handmade selfbow from Taylor Made
            > Bows for under $50, as long as she's willing to wait a couple of months for
            > it. When I was Endless hill's captain of archers, we had one in the loaner
            > gear, and it shot real nice.

            I've had a couple of his bows and they shot very nicely and were quite
            pretty . Unfortunately he doesn't seen to tiller them out past about 27"
            of draw in spite of being asked to take it out to 30". I draw 29"+ and
            the bows have chrysaled in both limbs.

            If her draw is less than 27", then I'd say give Taylor a try.

            Fritz

            --
            Carl West
            mailto:eisen@...

            Experience Real-Time Full-Motion Hi-res 3D with Surround Sound! Step Outside.
          • James Koch
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 11, 1999
              At 01:17 AM 10/8/99 EDT, you wrote:
              >From: WUNERFUL@...
              >
              >I'd love to help, but a pair of Yew billets for a bow runs about 50 bucks,
              >with other materials a finished bow might cost 75 to 100 just to make.
              That's
              >not even thinking of labor! (one of my problems at the moment is finding
              hemp
              >cord to make strings!)
              > However, when done I have a fairly sweet shooting English long bow, with a
              >nicely rounded cross section, horn nocks, ect...
              >
              >I've got some osage on the way, but that costs the same as yew. I havent
              >built any out of other woods yet.
              >
              >Good luck with her search, though!
              >Wuner (Craig Toth)

              Craig,

              What diameter hemp are you seeking. I buy it locally to bind and string
              crossbows. There are several online suppliers and most cities have hemp
              specialty shops. Hemp string is also sold for macrame and beading.

              Jim Koch
              James Koch