fletching tape

  • Evian Blackthorn
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 13, 2002
      I have a very basic question or two about fletching tape. Is
      there more than one brand of tape available? If so, what is
      the difference in the performance of each, by brand? If not,
      what is the brand name for this fletching tape? Could the
      differences in brands be a contributing factor in the
      various reports I am reading?

      Evian Blackthorn of THE WEB
    • blkknighti@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 13, 2002
        In a message dated 2/13/02 7:03:23 PM, theweb@... writes:

        << I have a very basic question or two about fletching tape. Is
        there more than one brand of tape available? If so, what is
        the difference in the performance of each, by brand? If not,
        what is the brand name for this fletching tape? Could the
        differences in brands be a contributing factor in the
        various reports I am reading?

        Evian Blackthorn of THE WEB >>

        I have not seen nor have used any other brand than Bohning. I may be wrong
        but I really haven't seen what I would call various reports that really do
        not concur. I didn't save this email thread but unless I missed some I only
        seem to recall ..Robert was it?...with a negative on its use in rain reported
        to him as he has not used it himself.
        I haven't noticed any problem with fletchings moving, but then again I don't
        leave my arrows in hot cars unattended...isn't that abuse? ;)
        In general ALL these reports seem reasonable and taken in whole seem to speak
        for the effectiveness of the tape method as a viable alternative to glueing.

        Richard
      • Guy Taylor
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 13, 2002
          There is also fletching tape made by a company called FeatherFast
        • Nest verch Tangwystyl
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 14, 2002
            > I haven't noticed any problem with fletchings moving, but then again I
            > don't
            > leave my arrows in hot cars unattended...isn't that abuse? ;)
            > In general ALL these reports seem reasonable and taken in whole seem to
            > speak
            > for the effectiveness of the tape method as a viable alternative to
            > glueing.
            >
            > Richard

            Oops, I didn't mean a hot car. I jusst meant on the way to the local lanes
            when it was left akwardly leaning between my bow and the seat in the back.
            I don't leave either my bow or my arrows in a car that is going to get
            either hot or very cold.

            Nest

            http://greetings.yahoo.com
          • Hal B. Clark
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 14, 2002
              First, the qualifiers. I use wooden shafts, natural feathers. With
              these materials, I find that plain old wood glues make a firm,
              permanent, waterproof bond that works in all weather.
              Since I tie my fletches to the shaft, once they are on I can let the
              arrow sit until I am ready to use it. The glue gets tacky enough to hold
              fletchings for tieing in acouple of minutes.
              As for the oil finish, I use bees wax. Take a soft cloth (diaper, t
              shirt type) and a chunk of bees wax about the sixe of your little finger
              and pop them in the microwave for a minute or so. This melts the wax
              into the cloth. Then hand rub each shaft. In the summer here in New
              Mexico (the Outlands) I don't even need the microwave. I wax after
              fletching.
              I admit that I usually only have students make two arrows per session.
              I try to teach method, not speed.

              Walk Tall
              Baron Ben