Re: Bow wood suppliers

  • Håkan Hedrén
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 3 7:15 AM
      James Koch wrote:

      > From: James Koch <alchem@...>
      >
      > <snip>
      > Unfortunately the individual in question has no wood of his own and figures
      > it will take several years before any he cuts will be ready.
      > <snip>
      > Jim Koch
      > James Koch

      Well, IMHO I think it would be a good solution to start with lumberyard boards.

      They're cheap so if one or 2 breaks it won't put a dent in your wallet to get
      new material. They're also thinner than split staves so they dry out quicker.
      For split wood staves, rough out the shape to get rid of excess wood, leave 10
      or 15% extra of your planned measures for the bow. This will speed up drying.
      The 'several-years-required-for-drying' might be true for whole unsplit logs
      but I've found that my boards from a nearby lumberyard dries out in 6 to 8
      weeks.

      Angus MacIomhair