Re: [SCA-Archery] Straight vs. Not Straight

  • Dave AKA Morgan
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 5, 2002
      >Has anyone ever sat down and actually experimented by comparing straight
      >vs.
      >helical fletching of feathers?
      >
      >-Caedmon

      I have never done an official scientific test on the subject. But, I noticed
      after I started helically fletching my arrows that my accuracy seemed to
      improve.

      Works for me. *shrug*

      Morgan

    • Susan Kell
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 6, 2002
        (Phelan asked)

        Just to throw another log on the "which is better, right or left
        fletch" fire that is near and dear to many of us fletchers,
        in kyudo (Japanese archery), they shoot two arrows, one is right
        fletched and the other is left fletched. This makes for good
        use of all of the feathers. Has anyone ever wondered why
        right fletches generally cost more even though there should be
        an equal supply of both right and left fletches?

        (and Ygraine replies...)

        I have heard that turkey farmers clip the right wings of their "crop" to
        prevent them flying away. Combine this with the myth of right-handed
        archers should use right-wing fletch, left-handed should use left-wing, and
        the fact that there are more right-handed than left-handed people. The
        reduction in the supply of right-wing feathers, plus the higher demand for
        them, results in their higher price.

        Unless specifically requested to do otherwise, Li and I use only left-wing
        fletch. The handedness of the archer does not require the fletching to
        match, but the nock point and shelf of the bow *do* need to be set up
        appropriately.

        -- Ygraine
      • Nest verch Tangwystyl
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 7, 2002
          Greetings all,

          I found this listing while wandering around on ebay. A very light weight
          British Long Bow is not easy to find. This would be a great first bow for
          some petite person who wants to try this style of shooting. Note the draw
          length is also short.

          I am not affiliated with Mr. St. Charles, who is selling the bow. I do
          have one of his bows which has been serving me well for years. I just
          thought I would point out this unusual find.

          Nest

          http://greetings.yahoo.com