Re: Fletch size?

  • schizeckinosy
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 6 1:24 PM
      I have read that the more center shot your bow, the less fletch you
      can get away with, which makes perfect sense to me. I tend to use 4"
      shield fletches, eith 3 or 4 at a time depending on what bow or
      shooter the arrows are for.

      Lu-shan
    • James De Warrenne
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 6 1:56 PM
        I have made 11/32 shaft, 30 inch long, 125 grain tips, and have used 3,4 and
        5 inch fletches. I was using a 30# fiberglass bow with the 3 inch and
        experienced slight wobble till it got about 10 yards out. The 4 inch out of
        the same bow wobbled about 5-6 yards.

        Now I use a 43# ELB with the 5 inch roundback fletches. I find that with a
        40-50# spined shafts my shots were going a lot left. Now, I use 30-35#
        shafts, 5 inch roundback and have a much tighter group, closer to center,
        and much less wobble.

        From what I can tell, the wider the bow, the further the arrow is from
        center, and thus you need a slightly less spine weight for it to curve
        around the bow properly.

        I am now making my 7th dozen arrows. These will be 11/32 30# spine, 30 inch
        draw, 125 grain tips, right wing feathers, 5 inch long, tapered to 1/2 inch
        high, hide glue and linen tied with right hand twist.

        I'll let you know how they fly.

        James