Re: [SCA-Archery] Fletch size?

  • Howpatn@cs.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 6, 2002
      Thanks for the clarification.

    • schizeckinosy
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 6, 2002
        I have read that the more center shot your bow, the less fletch you
        can get away with, which makes perfect sense to me. I tend to use 4"
        shield fletches, eith 3 or 4 at a time depending on what bow or
        shooter the arrows are for.

        Lu-shan
      • James De Warrenne
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 6, 2002
          I have made 11/32 shaft, 30 inch long, 125 grain tips, and have used 3,4 and
          5 inch fletches. I was using a 30# fiberglass bow with the 3 inch and
          experienced slight wobble till it got about 10 yards out. The 4 inch out of
          the same bow wobbled about 5-6 yards.

          Now I use a 43# ELB with the 5 inch roundback fletches. I find that with a
          40-50# spined shafts my shots were going a lot left. Now, I use 30-35#
          shafts, 5 inch roundback and have a much tighter group, closer to center,
          and much less wobble.

          From what I can tell, the wider the bow, the further the arrow is from
          center, and thus you need a slightly less spine weight for it to curve
          around the bow properly.

          I am now making my 7th dozen arrows. These will be 11/32 30# spine, 30 inch
          draw, 125 grain tips, right wing feathers, 5 inch long, tapered to 1/2 inch
          high, hide glue and linen tied with right hand twist.

          I'll let you know how they fly.

          James