Re: [SCA-Archery] Fletch size?

  • Scott Jaqua
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 6, 2002
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: <Howpatn@...>
      > > Longer and or heavier arrows require more fletching surface area
      > > then shorter or less massive arrows.
      > >

      > I would tend to disagree with you on that. Since I shoot a 30" tapered
      arrow
      > with a 125 gr. field tip and 3" fletches.
      >
      > Howard

      There's nothing to disagree with how much more fletching is relative. Most
      SCA archers, with a proper shooting form and properly made arrows, could
      actually use a 2 1/2 inch fletch. All I said is the you need enough
      fletching to keep the center of drag behind the center of gravity. However,
      what I left out is that you have to factor in the angle of attack on the
      fletching. Besides spinning the arrow, a steep angle of attack also pushes
      the center of drag back on the arrow.

      The arrow only needs to be so stable for it to fly correctly. Addition
      fletching adds excess drag and slows the arrow. The only upside of extra
      fletching surface is that the arrow will be more forgiving of a bad release
      by the archer.

      Njall
      (former profession archery instructor)

      Scott B. Jaqua

      SCA Link http://sjaqua.tripod.com

      Gaming Link http://www.geocities.com/sjaqua/
    • Howpatn@cs.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 6, 2002
        Thanks for the clarification.

      • schizeckinosy
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 6, 2002
          I have read that the more center shot your bow, the less fletch you
          can get away with, which makes perfect sense to me. I tend to use 4"
          shield fletches, eith 3 or 4 at a time depending on what bow or
          shooter the arrows are for.

          Lu-shan
        • James De Warrenne
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 6, 2002
            I have made 11/32 shaft, 30 inch long, 125 grain tips, and have used 3,4 and
            5 inch fletches. I was using a 30# fiberglass bow with the 3 inch and
            experienced slight wobble till it got about 10 yards out. The 4 inch out of
            the same bow wobbled about 5-6 yards.

            Now I use a 43# ELB with the 5 inch roundback fletches. I find that with a
            40-50# spined shafts my shots were going a lot left. Now, I use 30-35#
            shafts, 5 inch roundback and have a much tighter group, closer to center,
            and much less wobble.

            From what I can tell, the wider the bow, the further the arrow is from
            center, and thus you need a slightly less spine weight for it to curve
            around the bow properly.

            I am now making my 7th dozen arrows. These will be 11/32 30# spine, 30 inch
            draw, 125 grain tips, right wing feathers, 5 inch long, tapered to 1/2 inch
            high, hide glue and linen tied with right hand twist.

            I'll let you know how they fly.

            James