Re: Fletch size?

  • hanhebin
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 6, 2002
      > To what differing effect is there between a 3" feather and a 5"
      > feather on an arrow?
      >
      > More specifically, any effects at short ranges (40 or less) as
      > compared to shooting 100 yards.

      I personally like and use 4" 4 fletch for distances of 40 yards and
      less. I have found that for me this configuration is more forgiving
      than 5" 3 fletch.

      Michael
    • Howpatn@cs.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 6, 2002
        In a message dated 2/6/02 2:05:46 PM Eastern Standard Time, sjaqua@...
        writes:

        > Longer and or heavier arrows require more fletching surface area
        > then shorter or less massive arrows.

        I would tend to disagree with you on that. Since I shoot a 30" tapered arrow
        with a 125 gr. field tip and 3" fletches.

        Howard

      • Scott Jaqua
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 6, 2002
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 6, 2002
            Thanks for the clarification.

          • schizeckinosy
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 6, 2002
              I have read that the more center shot your bow, the less fletch you
              can get away with, which makes perfect sense to me. I tend to use 4"
              shield fletches, eith 3 or 4 at a time depending on what bow or
              shooter the arrows are for.

              Lu-shan
            • James De Warrenne
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 6, 2002
                I have made 11/32 shaft, 30 inch long, 125 grain tips, and have used 3,4 and
                5 inch fletches. I was using a 30# fiberglass bow with the 3 inch and
                experienced slight wobble till it got about 10 yards out. The 4 inch out of
                the same bow wobbled about 5-6 yards.

                Now I use a 43# ELB with the 5 inch roundback fletches. I find that with a
                40-50# spined shafts my shots were going a lot left. Now, I use 30-35#
                shafts, 5 inch roundback and have a much tighter group, closer to center,
                and much less wobble.

                From what I can tell, the wider the bow, the further the arrow is from
                center, and thus you need a slightly less spine weight for it to curve
                around the bow properly.

                I am now making my 7th dozen arrows. These will be 11/32 30# spine, 30 inch
                draw, 125 grain tips, right wing feathers, 5 inch long, tapered to 1/2 inch
                high, hide glue and linen tied with right hand twist.

                I'll let you know how they fly.

                James