Re: [SCA-Archery] Fletch size?

  • Francois Leclerc
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 6, 2002
      > To what differing effect is there between a 3" feather and a 5" feather on
      > an arrow?
      > More specifically, any effects at short ranges (40 or less) as compared to
      > shooting 100 yards.

      I personally have 5 inch fletches but never actually tried the 3 inch fletch.
      The other element is how high is your fletching. I have personnaly noticed
      that my arrows drop considerably after 25 meters when using a high profile
      fletching. This is probably due to the level of drag of the feather. Therefore I
      would summarize that drag is a consideration with fletching.

      The good side is that the arrow does stabilize better with 5 inch fletch. I
      have also noticed that if one of my feather is damaged, the arrow starts
      wobbling big time.
    • Howpatn@cs.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 6, 2002
        In a message dated 2/6/02 1:13:15 PM Eastern Standard Time, cwilson@...
        writes:

        > To what differing effect is there between a 3" feather and a 5" feather on
        > an arrow?

        I asked a bowyer about this a while ago. His answer was the major difference
        was drag. The bigger the fletch the more air resistance. I prefer the 3"
        round fletch because it produces less drag on the arrow.

        Howard

      • Scott Jaqua
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 6, 2002
          There is no one correct answer here. The correct size is the one that puts
          the center of drag far enough behind the center of gravity to produce a
          stable flight. This will change depending on weight, diameter and length of
          the arrow. Longer and or heavier arrows require more fletching surface area
          then shorter or less massive arrows.

          Njall
          (son of a real life rocket scientist)

          Scott B. Jaqua

          SCA Link http://sjaqua.tripod.com

          Gaming Link http://www.geocities.com/sjaqua/
        • hanhebin
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 6, 2002
            > To what differing effect is there between a 3" feather and a 5"
            > feather on an arrow?
            >
            > More specifically, any effects at short ranges (40 or less) as
            > compared to shooting 100 yards.

            I personally like and use 4" 4 fletch for distances of 40 yards and
            less. I have found that for me this configuration is more forgiving
            than 5" 3 fletch.

            Michael
          • Howpatn@cs.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 6, 2002
              In a message dated 2/6/02 2:05:46 PM Eastern Standard Time, sjaqua@...
              writes:

              > Longer and or heavier arrows require more fletching surface area
              > then shorter or less massive arrows.

              I would tend to disagree with you on that. Since I shoot a 30" tapered arrow
              with a 125 gr. field tip and 3" fletches.

              Howard

            • Scott Jaqua
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 6, 2002
                From: <Howpatn@...>
                > > Longer and or heavier arrows require more fletching surface area
                > > then shorter or less massive arrows.
                > >

                > I would tend to disagree with you on that. Since I shoot a 30" tapered
                arrow
                > with a 125 gr. field tip and 3" fletches.
                >
                > Howard

                There's nothing to disagree with how much more fletching is relative. Most
                SCA archers, with a proper shooting form and properly made arrows, could
                actually use a 2 1/2 inch fletch. All I said is the you need enough
                fletching to keep the center of drag behind the center of gravity. However,
                what I left out is that you have to factor in the angle of attack on the
                fletching. Besides spinning the arrow, a steep angle of attack also pushes
                the center of drag back on the arrow.

                The arrow only needs to be so stable for it to fly correctly. Addition
                fletching adds excess drag and slows the arrow. The only upside of extra
                fletching surface is that the arrow will be more forgiving of a bad release
                by the archer.

                Njall
                (former profession archery instructor)

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 6, 2002
                  Thanks for the clarification.

                • schizeckinosy
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 6, 2002
                    I have read that the more center shot your bow, the less fletch you
                    can get away with, which makes perfect sense to me. I tend to use 4"
                    shield fletches, eith 3 or 4 at a time depending on what bow or
                    shooter the arrows are for.

                    Lu-shan
                  • James De Warrenne
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 6, 2002
                      I have made 11/32 shaft, 30 inch long, 125 grain tips, and have used 3,4 and
                      5 inch fletches. I was using a 30# fiberglass bow with the 3 inch and
                      experienced slight wobble till it got about 10 yards out. The 4 inch out of
                      the same bow wobbled about 5-6 yards.

                      Now I use a 43# ELB with the 5 inch roundback fletches. I find that with a
                      40-50# spined shafts my shots were going a lot left. Now, I use 30-35#
                      shafts, 5 inch roundback and have a much tighter group, closer to center,
                      and much less wobble.

                      From what I can tell, the wider the bow, the further the arrow is from
                      center, and thus you need a slightly less spine weight for it to curve
                      around the bow properly.

                      I am now making my 7th dozen arrows. These will be 11/32 30# spine, 30 inch
                      draw, 125 grain tips, right wing feathers, 5 inch long, tapered to 1/2 inch
                      high, hide glue and linen tied with right hand twist.

                      I'll let you know how they fly.

                      James