Just had to share

  • Chad Wilson
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 6, 2002
      So I get an e-mail from friend Jon. He is asking me if I know where he can
      take his compound bow to have it restrung after he had removed the string.
      Being the ever inquisitive one that I am, I asked...

      "...how did you manage to unstring a compound bow? From what I've seen of
      them at Dan's, it's not an easy task."

      Jon responded:
      "The easy tasks are for sissies. If I'm going to screw something up, I'm
      going all the way. It's one of those things that is probably best not
      asked. But you asked, so here goes...

      I've had my bow for years, but it was at home and I hadn't fired it since
      high school. So when I retrieved it a few weeks ago I was eager to shoot.
      Not finding any better place to fire a lethal weapon, I bought a slab of
      pine wood from the hardware store and used my bedroom for the task. Now in
      my defense, we originally bought the target for our throwing knives, it has
      worked quite well. But after 48 hours or so of looking at my bow it became
      a "I wonder what would happen if..." kind of situation. All of this is
      really immaterial for how it happened, but it's entertaining.

      While shooting the bow, I used an arrow with broken notches on the end. I
      knew it was a bad arrow; I knew it was a bad idea. I did it anyway. The
      arrow slid off the string right before I released and the bow dry fired. As
      near as I can tell, that's what caused it to unstring. Whether something
      previous helped encourage it, I have no idea.

      Ergo, I need to fix my bow, replace a few of my arrows, and not do anything
      that stupid again. :-)

      By any chance do you have Dan's phone number handy? I'll try to look them
      up anyway.

      Thanks for your help!
      Jon"
      ***

      This should be good for a laugh for quite a while.

      -Caedmon

      http://greetings.yahoo.com
    • TLW
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 6, 2002
        I'm shocked that he wasn't hurt by something during this process. Why does
        the phrase, god looks out for ... and fools pop into my head.

        Since it is over and done with.. that is way too funny, thanks for sharing
        :)

        Tessa

      • Howpatn@cs.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 6, 2002
          Your friend is very lucky he doesn't need a plastic surgeon, a dentist,
          and/or eye doctor, too.

          Any competent bowyer can, for a fee, restring and test his bow. He will
          probably need the cables replaced as well. I have an old compound bow that is
          fun to shoot without sights, and not so wearing on my anceint body as my
          longbow.

          Howard