Re: [SCA-Archery] Straight vs. Not Straight

  • Dave AKA Morgan
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 5, 2002
      >Has anyone ever sat down and actually experimented by comparing straight
      >vs.
      >helical fletching of feathers?
      >
      >-Caedmon

      I have never done an official scientific test on the subject. But, I noticed
      after I started helically fletching my arrows that my accuracy seemed to
      improve.

      Works for me. *shrug*

      Morgan

    • Guy Taylor
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 5, 2002
        The legend is that the average fellow that trims turkey wings so they won't
        fly the coop is right handed. Due to the way they grab the bird the right
        wings are the ones that get trimmed, thus rendering right wing feathers a
        bit more scarce.

        Taillear

      • Susan Kell
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 6, 2002
          (Phelan asked)

          Just to throw another log on the "which is better, right or left
          fletch" fire that is near and dear to many of us fletchers,
          in kyudo (Japanese archery), they shoot two arrows, one is right
          fletched and the other is left fletched. This makes for good
          use of all of the feathers. Has anyone ever wondered why
          right fletches generally cost more even though there should be
          an equal supply of both right and left fletches?

          (and Ygraine replies...)

          I have heard that turkey farmers clip the right wings of their "crop" to
          prevent them flying away. Combine this with the myth of right-handed
          archers should use right-wing fletch, left-handed should use left-wing, and
          the fact that there are more right-handed than left-handed people. The
          reduction in the supply of right-wing feathers, plus the higher demand for
          them, results in their higher price.

          Unless specifically requested to do otherwise, Li and I use only left-wing
          fletch. The handedness of the archer does not require the fletching to
          match, but the nock point and shelf of the bow *do* need to be set up
          appropriately.

          -- Ygraine
        • Nest verch Tangwystyl
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 7, 2002
            Greetings all,

            I found this listing while wandering around on ebay. A very light weight
            British Long Bow is not easy to find. This would be a great first bow for
            some petite person who wants to try this style of shooting. Note the draw
            length is also short.

            I am not affiliated with Mr. St. Charles, who is selling the bow. I do
            have one of his bows which has been serving me well for years. I just
            thought I would point out this unusual find.

            Nest

            http://greetings.yahoo.com