Re: Bow wood suppliers

  • James Koch
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 17, 1999
      A new member of our group is a wood worker and is interested in becoming a
      bowyer. He seems serious about this undertaking and we have discussed the
      matter on several occasions. My thought is that I should assist and
      encourage him and make a bow or two of my own in the process. However, I
      have two questions to be answered before I begin.

      Unfortunately the individual in question has no wood of his own and figures
      it will take several years before any he cuts will be ready. I suggested
      that in the mean time he buy staves from traditional archery suppliers. I
      have therefore downloaded John Fitz-Rauf's list. One of my customers
      recommends Greg Harris in Bellingham Washington. Has anyone else on this
      list received good service and a good product from any other traditional
      boyer suppliers? If so, please apprise me of the name of the company and
      how they may be contacted.

      Also, to save time I'd like to begin with a precut "kit" self bow of ash or
      osage orange. Would these be available and are these woods a good choice?
      I want to keep the process simple and hope to make an unlaminated bow
      initially.

      Jim Koch
      James Koch
    • WUNERFUL@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 1999
        Hi!

        I'm a fairly new bowyer myself, and let me tell ya, it's great working a
        piece of wood into a sweet-shootin' bow!
        I've bought wood from a couple of places. About the best prices I've found
        so far are from "The Old Master Crafters, Inc." (847) 623-2660. Yew BILLETS
        are about 38.30 a pair, with shipping it comes to about 46.00. They also sell
        Osage in billets and staves, but for a beginer I'd stick with yew. (they cost
        about the same.)

        Another source is "Mystic Longbows" (309) 785-5109 www.mugjoint.com/mystic

        You can also ask on www.stickbow.com in the "leatherwall" section. Some of
        the best selfbow makers in the country post there, and everyone loves to chat!

        Finally, feel free to contact me.

        Sincerely,
        Wuner (Craig)
      • AMENSEYA@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 1999
          Jim,

          Please let me know what you find out

          Lady Ayesha
          AMENSEYA@...
        • Håkan Hedrén
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 3, 1999
            James Koch wrote:

            > From: James Koch <alchem@...>
            >
            > <snip>
            > Unfortunately the individual in question has no wood of his own and figures
            > it will take several years before any he cuts will be ready.
            > <snip>
            > Jim Koch
            > James Koch

            Well, IMHO I think it would be a good solution to start with lumberyard boards.

            They're cheap so if one or 2 breaks it won't put a dent in your wallet to get
            new material. They're also thinner than split staves so they dry out quicker.
            For split wood staves, rough out the shape to get rid of excess wood, leave 10
            or 15% extra of your planned measures for the bow. This will speed up drying.
            The 'several-years-required-for-drying' might be true for whole unsplit logs
            but I've found that my boards from a nearby lumberyard dries out in 6 to 8
            weeks.

            Angus MacIomhair