Re: Proposal for a fourth Peerage(long)

  • Bob & Nancy Upson
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 30, 1999
      > with a bow, scouting, or are a great melee fighter.) The Laurels say they
      > don't know enough about traditional archery, or Siege craft to be able to
      > give a fair comment on their displays, and when a person spends untold hours

      This problem is not unique to the martial arts, I hear the same
      complaint about less well known fine arts as well. the solution is
      to educate the Laurelate -- not create our own self congratulatory
      peerage.

      > serving a Kingdom with hosting arrow-making parties, autocrating several
      > schools and events based on archery, and endless other duties in that field
      > for example but the Pelicans say: sorry Archerys not that important to our
      > Kingdom. Is it fair to them after all of the hardwork to be told sorry we
      > don't think a peerage for this persons specialized talent is appropriate?

      Educate the Pelicans. In some kingdoms it's already happening.
      Like all worthwhile things, it's worth waiting for peerage recognition
      to mature on its own rather than trying to force the issue by
      creating another specialty peerage out of the blue.

      > that peerage. It happens in all three orders. But why are those whose Skill
      > on Horseback, Archery, Scouting or Rapier Arts to be excluded from Peerage?

      That isn't the case across the whole of the SCA, it's a kingdom
      level problem where it exists. The people practicing unheralded
      skills in those kingdoms need to educate their fellows -- not lobby
      for a legislative cure from the SCA, Inc.

      Macsen
    • John Rockwell
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 30, 1999
        Greetings Lord Macsen

        I salute and applaud you, for I agree with you. Here in the Kingdom of
        Atenveldt I know of Peers that enjoy archery if not fulltime,but parttime.
        Lets see now In the Baronies of Atenveldt and SunDragon there are at least 4
        Laurels and 4 Pelicans that I can think of off the top of my head. And There
        are some Knights who come out and shoot with us on occication.

        My thoughts:

        I feel if we the Archers of the KnownWorld approch the Peers and offer our
        services to them. So that they can learn the joy of feeling the bow come
        alive in the palm of their hand.
        To know the joy of knowing that they made the bow string and/or arrows they
        are shooting. Then the peers will start to understand. We all know the
        feeling when we step on the field and shoot, How do you describe it to a
        person who has never done it.

        Does any one remember the first time they hit the gold? Or the feeling of
        accomplishment the first time they hit the target? I do, I see it at least
        once a month when I have a new archer come out and play. These are the
        things in my opionion that we should share with everyone.

        This spring I was given a great honor I was a capanion of the Azure
        Archer. This is the highest award for Archery in the Kingdom of Atenveldt.
        I got this award because I approched Knights, Laurels, and Pelicans and
        offered my services so they could learn the sport of Archery.

        IN short we the Archers need to talk with the peers and invite them to come
        and checkout what we are doing.

        the mind is racing faster than the fingers

        Go in Peace
        Lord Ian Griffen the Archer
        Captian of Archers Barony of Atenveldt.