Going shopping!

  • ali_the_mischievous
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 10, 2002
      Hi there-
      My name is Ali (Anna of Harcourt) and my boyfriend (M'Lord
      Christopher of Harcourt) Chris and I have been playing off and on
      with the SCA for about a year now. Just this Christmas Chris's mother
      decided that it would be nice to purchase him an SCA compatable
      archery set. We were wondering if there was anything you could tell
      us that would be useful in this situation-
      What types of bows and arrows are correct to use in the SCA, what to
      look for, and where to purchase them would all be great!
      Thank you!
      Merry Meet,
      Anna & Christopher of Harcourt
    • cwilson@mhmh.org
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 18, 2002
        Greetings and welcome to archery in the SCA.

        There are just a few basics to remember with bows in the SCA. Being a
        "medieval re-enactment", we stick to traditional archery equipment. This
        means recurve bows, longbows, horsebows, crossbows, etc, that do not have
        wheels (modern compound bows), do not have sights (as neat as a laser
        pointer may be), stabilizers (that long bar out the front of some bows).
        For an idea of various traditional bow designs, peruse through the online
        catalog at 3Rivers Archery (http://www.3riversarchery.com). For an idea of
        what a period longbow looks like, Woodbows.com (http://www.woodbows.com)
        has an inexpensive selection of styles.

        There are other manufacturers of this equipment. Everyone has a differing
        opinion on which bow is better or worse, but in the end, it comes down to
        personal perference. I like my Martin X-100 recurve. It is simple in
        appearance and hasn't failed me in 4 years. Some prefer a Bear bow. If
        you live near a sports shop that has traditional archery equipment, try out
        different bows to see which one "feels" right.

        As for arrows, they need to made of wood. Fletching made of feathers and
        tips are reserved to field and target points. Many marshals don't want a
        bodkin point (square, sharp and very pointy) messing up nice targets, and
        bodkin points just tend to be expensive to find, anyways. You can have
        arrows made for you. I suggest this for first time out, better to get
        started, and then if you really like it, try making your own equipment.

        It's better to look and touch, so find local archers and ask to see and
        touch their stuff. No advise can beat that of a trusted friend standing in
        front of you with actual stuff.

        -Caedmon
      • kmcwhyte@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 18, 2002
          Sidenote --

          Although it *is* possible to find a bow and gear on eBay and at garage sales, I strongly recommend you check out the manufactured brands at your local archery shop or online retailer. Reason for this -- less chance of running into defects with the bow.

          YIS,

          Lady Kayleigh McWhyte, "Mercenary Scribe" (East)

          In a message dated Fri, 18 Jan 2002 11:32:13 AM Eastern Standard Time, cwilson@... writes:

          > Greetings and welcome to archery in the SCA.
          >
          > There are just a few basics to remember with bows in the SCA. Being a
          > "medieval re-enactment", we stick to traditional archery equipment. This
          > means recurve bows, longbows, horsebows, crossbows, etc, that do not have
          > wheels (modern compound bows), do not have sights (as neat as a laser
          > pointer may be), stabilizers (that long bar out the front of some bows).
          > For an idea of various traditional bow designs, peruse through the online
          > catalog at 3Rivers Archery (http://www.3riversarchery.com). For an idea of
          > what a period longbow looks like, Woodbows.com (http://www.woodbows.com)
          > has an inexpensive selection of styles.
          >
          > There are other manufacturers of this equipment. Everyone has a differing
          > opinion on which bow is better or worse, but in the end, it comes down to
          > personal perference. I like my Martin X-100 recurve. It is simple in
          > appearance and hasn't failed me in 4 years. Some prefer a Bear bow. If
          > you live near a sports shop that has traditional archery equipment, try out
          > different bows to see which one "feels" right.
          >
          > As for arrows, they need to made of wood. Fletching made of feathers and
          > tips are reserved to field and target points. Many marshals don't want a
          > bodkin point (square, sharp and very pointy) messing up nice targets, and
          > bodkin points just tend to be expensive to find, anyways. You can have
          > arrows made for you. I suggest this for first time out, better to get
          > started, and then if you really like it, try making your own equipment.
          >
          > It's better to look and touch, so find local archers and ask to see and
          > touch their stuff. No advise can beat that of a trusted friend standing in
          > front of you with actual stuff.
          >
          > -Caedmon

        • Lou Davis
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 18, 2002
            Hi, I am new to your group. The reason I signed up is
            my daughter has an interest in archery.

            A friend of ours custom made her a beautiful
            (short)long bow. She is only 5'1" and very petite.
            He is an artist and craftsman. If anyone is
            interested in meeting this man, I will gladly help you
            get in touch with him. Although he is more into the
            Black Powder Events, he can make you whatever you are
            looking for. He has been creating bows for many years
            and takes a great deal of pride in his work. He made
            the most beautiful Osage bow that I have ever seen.
            I'm not talking "bargain basement" ----- He crafts a
            quality custom product.

            LouAnne

            <+><+><+><+><+>Ailionora of Tal Mere<+><+><+><+><+>

            --- kmcwhyte@... wrote:
            > Sidenote --
            >
            > Although it *is* possible to find a bow and gear on
            > eBay and at garage sales, I strongly recommend you
            > check out the manufactured brands at your local
            > archery shop or online retailer. Reason for this --
            > less chance of running into defects with the bow.
            >
            > YIS,
            >
            > Lady Kayleigh McWhyte, "Mercenary Scribe" (East)

            Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
            http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/