Re: re: Crossbow Questions

  • BlkKnightI@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 28, 1999
      Kaz,
      Thank you for the clearification and information. It is extrememly important
      for us to be specific to what we term period or not .

      ie- guns are period. AK-47s are not! ...This is obvious but what type of
      "gun" and what defines it in a specfic period is what we must look at and
      emulate.

      Again, thanks for the information and clearification.
      I have a question for you- a full sized crossbow with a rifle shoulder stock
      and a pistol grip and trigger release (as opposed to a "tickler and roller")
      would not be period in Europe 1000-1500?

      Richard
    • BlkKnightI@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 28, 1999
        Kaz,
        your information and attention to period detail is always a help and I learn
        constantly.
        Thanks. I hope someday we can meet face to face. I will be honoured.
        Richard
      • Chris Nogy
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 28, 1999
          > I have a question for you- a full sized crossbow with a rifle shoulder stock
          > and a pistol grip and trigger release (as opposed to a "tickler and roller")
          > would not be period in Europe 1000-1500?
          >
          > Richard

          To the best of my knowlege (and I am a Laurel for (mainly) Crossbow building)
          the answer is no. There are instances of bows with set and match triggers and
          rudimentary rifle shoulder stocks in the 1700s, but none that I can document
          have a pistol grip as well. There are Pistol grip bows in the 1800s but none
          with carbine type rifle stocks.

          There is a Belgian bow with a rifle stock, a trigger with a guard, and what
          looks vaguely like a pistol grip, but it is not. It is a grip for your other
          hand, and it is several inches in front of the trigger guard assembly. This
          bow can be dated to the mid- to late- 1600s.

          But there is no documentation that I can find for a modern assault carbine /
          sten style bow in period.

          Hope this helps

          Kaz