Re: Traditional archery

  • grey_taylor
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 7, 2002
      Charlie, there is a company called Bingham Projects that might have
      everything you need for building a laminated bow. You can see them
      at http://www.binghamprojects.com/

      3Rivers also has supplies and some excellent books and videos on the
      subject http://www.3riversarchery.com/

      Sounds like you've got some good facilities available to you. I
      think some range challenged people are going to be envious.

      Taillear

      --- In SCA-Archery@y..., "jancharlie2" <cchase@a...> wrote:
      > I have just joined this group to learn about different types of
      > archery and traditional archery. I have hunted deer for several
      > years with a compound and now would like to learn to shoot my
      recurve
      > and longbow without sights.
      > I have been thinking about making my own laminiated long bow. I
      > have read some about it and wondered if someone could give me some
      > pointer of what to do and what not to do, and what type of bow to
      > make the first time.
      > I didn't get in to archery until I was in my twenties but was
      > hooked on it when I brought my first bow. I now have several bows
      > and do shoot most of them. I have my favorites that I shoot most
      of
      > the time.
      > I am 57 and live in Iowa which I think is some of the best
      hunting
      > anyone could ask for anyplace. I grew up in this area so I don't
      > have any problem to find a place to hunt.
      > I have about 10 acres behind my house to set up my archery
      targets
      > so do shoot most every day that the weather will permit.
      > I have read on here about finding a safe place to shoot and at
      one
      > time belonged to several archery clubs. In this area there are
      > county parks with land which archery ranges have been set up. Most
      > of the clubs paid for insurance to cover the club and also
      insurance
      > to cover the county. These ranges were open to the public but most
      > places didn't have much problem of being damaged by vandals. The
      > club near my home was the best for me and I was the president for
      > awhile and got to know the conservation officer at the park and he
      > helped the club with alot of things. This club is still going but
      > with my work I don't get to go there as much as I did then. This
      > range has a pratice butt, 3D trail and a field archery trail.
      > Charlie,
    • Charles Langbehn
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 7, 2002
        Charlie, I have made several bows (Both longbow and recurve) using the
        Bingham Projects tapes and all my bows shoot perfectly stright, most notably
        my wife's.The tapes explain everything you need to build your bow including
        the bow press and the oven for curing.

        Koranada Tomadachi
        Northern Mist Archery Guild