Spine Testers

  • grey_taylor
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 7, 2002
      Just to assure archers who don't have a spine tester...

      While spine testers can be very interesting to use, and possibly even
      necessary for those making or sorting their own shafts, you can buy
      well matched arrows and raw shafts from any number of vendors. You
      don't need your own tester to get closely matched shafts.

      If the vendor you are buying shafts or arrows from does not state in
      their literature that shafts are matched in spine and weight, just
      ask them if a matching service is available. It might cost a couple
      extra dollars but it will remove some variation in your ammunition.
      Many vendors perform the task as a regular part of sorting their
      shafts. Common parameters are 5# in spine and +/- 10 grains in
      weight. Some hold their product even closer.

      One caveat, make sure that you are buying from a well respected
      traditional archery vendor. There is a company in California that
      flat out lies about their matched shafts. If you want references on
      a company, ask around.

      Taillear
    • John C. Shepherd
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 10, 2002
        Greetings
        While I in general agree with the statement below, I must state that I have yet to find a vendor who is accurate all the the time. I do have a spine tester and it has save me much grief over the years.
        John Garr
        Barony of Naevehjem
        Kingdom of Caid

        On Monday, January 7, 2002 8:59 PM, grey_taylor <greytaylor@...> wrote:
        >Just to assure archers who don't have a spine tester...
        >
        >While spine testers can be very interesting to use, and possibly even
        >necessary for those making or sorting their own shafts, you can buy
        >well matched arrows and raw shafts from any number of vendors. You
        >don't need your own tester to get closely matched shafts.
        >
        >If the vendor you are buying shafts or arrows from does not state in
        >their literature that shafts are matched in spine and weight, just
        >ask them if a matching service is available. It might cost a couple
        >extra dollars but it will remove some variation in your ammunition.
        >Many vendors perform the task as a regular part of sorting their
        >shafts. Common parameters are 5# in spine and +/- 10 grains in
        >weight. Some hold their product even closer.
        >
        >One caveat, make sure that you are buying from a well respected
        >traditional archery vendor. There is a company in California that
        >flat out lies about their matched shafts. If you want references on
        >a company, ask around.
        >
        >Taillear

        >http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Chad Wilson
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 10, 2002
          --- "John C. Shepherd" <jcshep@...> wrote:
          > Greetings
          > While I in general agree with the statement below, I must state that I have
          > yet to find a vendor who is accurate all the the time. I do have a spine
          > tester and it has save me much grief over the years.
          > John Garr
          > Barony of Naevehjem
          > Kingdom of Caid

          When I think of spine testers, I think of an archer taking that next step in
          their interest of archery. No longer is the person just shooting, but they are
          now caring about the smaller details.

          I am getting that way with my crossbow (I'm hoping for Ludicrous by the end of
          summer), but I admit to being lax with my recurve.

          -Caedmon

          Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
          http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/
        • aleksei1@juno.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 11, 2002
            Greetings friends,
            On the subject of spine testers, I have built a few (from plans I
            gleaned from a magazine) and now have a Don Adams tester(so I match AMO
            weights, mine are accurate shaft to shaft, but not necessarily to
            standard). It is simple logic that the closer matched your arrows are,
            the more consistantly they'll fly. I have found that the spines from
            most of the commercial vendors tend to stay close to the advertised 5lb
            groupings. The grain weight however....I recently purchased 100 30-35lb
            5/16th" premium PO Cedar shafts and got 37 of them into the 31-32lb range
            (I prefer 2lb groupings); the difference in grain weight from low to high
            is over 120 grains (on average they're about 315gr.) for about a 38%
            difference, now thats ridiculous! These were purchased from a well
            respected commercial vendor (IN, not CA, I had better luck from them). I
            got them at the bulk rate and did not specify a preference for grain
            weight (I'm not sure you can by the hundred) so I expected some
            deviation...but.
            Shoot Straight,
            HL Aleksei Zateev
            OGGS
            An Tir
            GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
            http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
          • Guy Taylor
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 11, 2002
              Weight deviation from one shaft to another is a simple matter of wood being
              a natural material and subject to a lot of influences and differences. I'm
              not really surprised that you got such a large spread. The vendors I deal
              with sell their dozens grouped for similiar weight. But imagine how many
              shafts they'd have to go through to get 100 weight matched shafts. I'm sure
              it can be done, but you're 'gonna pay for it.

              Taillear