Traditional archery

  • jancharlie2
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 21, 2001
      I have just joined this group to learn about different types of
      archery and traditional archery. I have hunted deer for several
      years with a compound and now would like to learn to shoot my recurve
      and longbow without sights.
      I have been thinking about making my own laminiated long bow. I
      have read some about it and wondered if someone could give me some
      pointer of what to do and what not to do, and what type of bow to
      make the first time.
      I didn't get in to archery until I was in my twenties but was
      hooked on it when I brought my first bow. I now have several bows
      and do shoot most of them. I have my favorites that I shoot most of
      the time.
      I am 57 and live in Iowa which I think is some of the best hunting
      anyone could ask for anyplace. I grew up in this area so I don't
      have any problem to find a place to hunt.
      I have about 10 acres behind my house to set up my archery targets
      so do shoot most every day that the weather will permit.
      I have read on here about finding a safe place to shoot and at one
      time belonged to several archery clubs. In this area there are
      county parks with land which archery ranges have been set up. Most
      of the clubs paid for insurance to cover the club and also insurance
      to cover the county. These ranges were open to the public but most
      places didn't have much problem of being damaged by vandals. The
      club near my home was the best for me and I was the president for
      awhile and got to know the conservation officer at the park and he
      helped the club with alot of things. This club is still going but
      with my work I don't get to go there as much as I did then. This
      range has a pratice butt, 3D trail and a field archery trail.
      Charlie,
    • grey_taylor
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 7, 2002
        Charlie, there is a company called Bingham Projects that might have
        everything you need for building a laminated bow. You can see them
        at http://www.binghamprojects.com/

        3Rivers also has supplies and some excellent books and videos on the
        subject http://www.3riversarchery.com/

        Sounds like you've got some good facilities available to you. I
        think some range challenged people are going to be envious.

        Taillear

        --- In SCA-Archery@y..., "jancharlie2" <cchase@a...> wrote:
        > I have just joined this group to learn about different types of
        > archery and traditional archery. I have hunted deer for several
        > years with a compound and now would like to learn to shoot my
        recurve
        > and longbow without sights.
        > I have been thinking about making my own laminiated long bow. I
        > have read some about it and wondered if someone could give me some
        > pointer of what to do and what not to do, and what type of bow to
        > make the first time.
        > I didn't get in to archery until I was in my twenties but was
        > hooked on it when I brought my first bow. I now have several bows
        > and do shoot most of them. I have my favorites that I shoot most
        of
        > the time.
        > I am 57 and live in Iowa which I think is some of the best
        hunting
        > anyone could ask for anyplace. I grew up in this area so I don't
        > have any problem to find a place to hunt.
        > I have about 10 acres behind my house to set up my archery
        targets
        > so do shoot most every day that the weather will permit.
        > I have read on here about finding a safe place to shoot and at
        one
        > time belonged to several archery clubs. In this area there are
        > county parks with land which archery ranges have been set up. Most
        > of the clubs paid for insurance to cover the club and also
        insurance
        > to cover the county. These ranges were open to the public but most
        > places didn't have much problem of being damaged by vandals. The
        > club near my home was the best for me and I was the president for
        > awhile and got to know the conservation officer at the park and he
        > helped the club with alot of things. This club is still going but
        > with my work I don't get to go there as much as I did then. This
        > range has a pratice butt, 3D trail and a field archery trail.
        > Charlie,
      • Charles Langbehn
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 7, 2002
          Charlie, I have made several bows (Both longbow and recurve) using the
          Bingham Projects tapes and all my bows shoot perfectly stright, most notably
          my wife's.The tapes explain everything you need to build your bow including
          the bow press and the oven for curing.

          Koranada Tomadachi
          Northern Mist Archery Guild