Pistol Crossbows....

  • Matthew Legge
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 28, 1999
      Hello All,

      Just thought that I would add my two cents worth to this topic.

      Firstly I have never seen a "pistol" crossbow since they are treated as a
      concealable weapon by Australian Customs and are therfore a prohibited item
      and can not be imported. However some manufacturers have gotten around this
      by adding a moulded extension to the crossbow which can be removed after
      purchase. A bit stupid really.

      Period examples of small crossbows favoured by some assassins have been
      documented from private collections. There was a recent article in the
      Journal of the Society of Archer Antiquaries on this topic - I have
      misplaced my copy of the article, but I think that it was in the 1996
      edition of the Journal and that the author was Douglas Elmy.

      From memory these little crossbows had a small prod around 20 to 25
      centimetres from nock to nock and had a draw weight of aound 45 kilograms
      at most 8 centimetres. I'm using metric measures since I can't think in
      inches and pounds....

      One example shot a small bolt that had a sharp point (needle like or a
      blade) and had razor sharp metal fletches. Also from memory these weapons
      were meant to be used from no more than two or three metres. The assassin
      would walk up to the victim and while walking past take his shot without
      stopping. I think that there was also some speculation about the use of
      poisons or infectious material to increase the chance of a kill if the shot
      was successful.

      YIS

      Maidiu Ruadh,
      Aneala.