Recurve Bow for a 6'5" Newbie

  • storm71097@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 2002
      yep.. I have 2 new archer brothers that are 6'3"
      and 6'5"... They will be serious archers and
      learn quickly I am sure so WHAT in the heck
      should they start with for poundage and length as
      a guess (so as not to waste a lot of the "growing
      out of it" factor. I am not sure I want them
      cranking any of my bows out that far to see what
      they are comfortable for a day with? I am going
      to research the draw length on them both with a
      yardstick but I checked the 6'5" guy today and
      his total wingspan is 6'6" almost...

      They are probably looking to spend like $300ish
      total including to start a dozen spined arrows to
      start so more like 240ish for the bow (adding a
      couple dozen more later). Email me directly as I
      do not want to necessarily tie up the time of
      others with a specific individual but if anyone
      has expertise in such an area, I am all ears.

      Tobyn Kembold, Bowman Bridge

      PS... Still looking for donations for Pennsic
      XXXI from archers, household OR Baronies... A
      couple Baronies and Households have already
      pledged stuff and want to sponsor a shoot in
      their honor. Please contact me directly if you
      have ANYTHING to award as foods, garb, archery
      equip, etc are ALL welcome to award for the fun
      of it. You wouldn't want your Barony to be left
      out would you??? (insert small guilt here; more
      to follow in increasing doses :-) Email me
      RIGHT NOW if you can pledge something or at least
      tell me you are starting the process. Thanks and
      happy shooting!

      "Those who live by the sword die by an arrow"

      http://greetings.yahoo.com
    • aleksei1@juno.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 4, 2002
        First, I would suggest checking their draw length with a cheapo
        fiberglass bow...60" #25 or so and a nocked 5/16 dowel marked in inches.
        As for poundage; what are they going to shoot? For most SCA target
        shooting, 35 to 45 pounds is adequate and not too tiring for most. I
        would also suggest a bow of over 62", they tend to draw smoother and are
        more forgiving, especially at longer draw lengths.
        Aleksei Zateev
        An Tir

        On Fri, 4 Jan 2002 10:17:15 -0800 (PST) <storm71097@...> writes:
        >yep.. I have 2 new archer brothers that are 6'3" and 6'5"... They will
        be serious archers and learn quickly I am sure so WHAT in the heck should
        they start with for poundage and length as a guess (so as not to waste a
        lot of the "growing out of it" factor. I am not sure I want them
        cranking any of my bows out that far to see what
        they are comfortable for a day with? I am going to research the draw
        length on them both with a yardstick but I checked the 6'5" guy today and
        his total wingspan is 6'6" almost...
        They are probably looking to spend like $300ish total including to start
        a dozen spined arrows to start so more like 240ish for the bow (adding a
        couple dozen more later). Email me directly as I do not want to
        necessarily tie up the time of others with a specific individual but if
        anyone has expertise in such an area, I am all ears.
        Tobyn Kembold, Bowman Bridge

        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
      • eulenhorst@juno.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4, 2002
          Knowing only what is included in this message I would suggest something
          in the range of 40# with an AMO length of 69"-72". Do check their draw
          length with a rugged fiberglass bow and a marked dowel. Make sure that
          whatever bows they get can handle their draw length.

          In service to the dream,
          Carolus von Eulenhorst
          eulenhorst@...

          On Fri, 4 Jan 2002 10:17:15 -0800 (PST) <storm71097@...> writes:
          > yep.. I have 2 new archer brothers that are 6'3"
          > and 6'5"... They will be serious archers and
          > learn quickly I am sure so WHAT in the heck
          > should they start with for poundage and length as
          > a guess (so as not to waste a lot of the "growing
          > out of it" factor. I am not sure I want them
          > cranking any of my bows out that far to see what
          > they are comfortable for a day with? I am going
          > to research the draw length on them both with a
          > yardstick but I checked the 6'5" guy today and
          > his total wingspan is 6'6" almost...
          >
          > They are probably looking to spend like $300ish
          > total including to start a dozen spined arrows to
          > start so more like 240ish for the bow (adding a
          > couple dozen more later). Email me directly as I
          > do not want to necessarily tie up the time of
          > others with a specific individual but if anyone
          > has expertise in such an area, I am all ears.
          >
          > Tobyn Kembold, Bowman Bridge
          GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
          http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
        • Scott Jaqua
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 4, 2002
            Once your tall (hell one has got an inch on me!) archers are past the
            "newbie" stage. Have them check out www.horsebows.com. If they want a period
            style bow that performs like a recurve and will handle a long draw, then the
            "Hun" pattern bow is one I would recommend.

            Njall
            (6'4" and owns a "Hun", no connection to anyone that sells them)

            Scott B. Jaqua

            SCA Link http://sjaqua.tripod.com

            Gaming Link http://www.geocities.com/sjaqua/