Re: [SCA-Archery] What constitutes a period bow?

  • eulenhorst@juno.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 2, 2002
      I don't have my sources readily to hand but I seem to recall reading that
      the Vikings used a short, flat bow made of oak to great effect. As their
      primary period of raiding was roughly 7th to 11th century it would
      certainly be period.

      In service to the dream,
      Carolus von Eulenhorst
      eulenhorst@...

      On Wed, 02 Jan 2002 16:20:00 -0500 "Bruce R. Gordon" <obsidian@...>
      writes:
      > Greetings
      > I haven't done detailed research in the area, but I have
      > wandered through
      > some sources. Nothing that I've seen suggests that flatbows were
      > common
      > in Europe within period. I agree that the technology precedes period
      >
      > (vide Holmegaard, etc.), but it seems not to have had much influence
      >
      > overall.
      > I've never heard of a period ELB as a composite, except
      > perhaps in the
      > riser. Composites were known, of course; Huns, Mongols, Turks, they
      > all
      > built composite bows - you find that sort of thing wherever archery
      > is
      > regarded as useful, but ready sources of wood are scarce. And in any
      >
      > event, hickory is a New World wood.
      > All of which tends to beg the question, of course. If you
      > are trying to
      > build a bow for an Arts-and-Sciences competition, you will need to
      > hit
      > the books very thoroughly, and then build a classic yew or ash
      > longbow
      > with a "D" section (if you are doing a Western bow - an Eastern
      > horse-bow can use all sorts of materials, of course). But for use in
      >
      > Period Division shoots, you will be held to a less rigorous
      > standard.
      >
      > Cordially;
      > Forester Nigel FitzMaurice (Mid)
      >
      > snip <
      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
    • eulenhorst@juno.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 2, 2002
        My reading indicates that Italian yew was the preferred wood in period
        because of its consistent fine grained growth. Some of the best
        documentation is indirect and can be obtained from the statutes
        regulating bowyers and the customs records for imports. Merchants were
        required to bring with them certain numbers of bow staves of specified
        proportions of woods for the King's armories whenever they docked in an
        English port.

        In service to the dream,
        Carolus von Eulenhorst
        eulenhorst@...

        On Wed, 02 Jan 2002 22:15:33 +0000 "john moore" <iaenmor@...>
        writes:
        > Nigel, on this I would have to disagree with you on this. In general
        > most
        > European bows were based on a flatbow design. The long bow that we
        > know of
        > is pretty much limited to the welsh and english. Most good sources
        > in
        > england will even go so far as to say that they are one and the
        > same. The
        > thing to remember is that there are only two good sources of yew in
        > Europe,
        > England and Spain, the spanish being considered the better. The
        > lack of
        > good wood on the European mainland was one of the contributing
        > factors to
        > the rise of the crossbows prominence. Ash is a good substitute but
        > one must
        > remember that the dearth of material about ELB are from the Mary
        > Rose.
        > There is not enough documentation as the bows did not survive the
        > years. So
        > one could not say, that a ELB has to be just Yew or Ash. I do agree
        > that no
        > matter what you build it should have excellent documentation, but do
        > not
        > limit it to only the ELB. Flatbows, Hornbows and Sinew-backed bows
        > were
        > common in period.(Check out some of the Scandinavian traditional
        > websites)
        >
        > Iaen Mor
        > Ansteorra
        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
      • Evian Blackthorn
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 2, 2002
          Greetings list,

          In 1188, a half Welsh - half Norman living in England
          knew of and wrote about at least four different materials
          being used for bows. They were: horn, ivory, yew, and elm.
          This person was named Giraldus, and wrote about the bows of
          elm used by the 'Venta' of Wales, as opposed to bows of
          horn, ivory or yew. There are no details given in relation
          to the shape of these or other bows. There is no information
          given about whether the materials were used individually, or
          were used as a composite material. But this is only a small
          area of the known world of that time, although Giraldus was
          familiar with sizable areas of England, France and Italy,
          having lived in all three countries, as well as having been
          raised in Wales and having visited Ireland. He gives no
          details about where the other three materials other than the
          elm of the Welsh was used for bows.

          I don't know if Carolus is right about Italian yew being
          the prefered yew in period England, but I do know that there
          were extensive yew growths around the shores of Lake Geneva,
          in what is now the Haut-Savoie departement of France,
          formerly part of the Duchy of Savoy, so at least yew grew in
          Italy in period, as well as Spain and England. I sure won't
          argue about it with him, as he is normally right in his
          statements and can back them up with documentation. However,
          Carolus failed to make the distinctintion I did about period
          ENGLAND, though he does refer us indirectly to English
          records and statutes. Or at least I assume he was referring
          to English records, as he directly referred to English
          ports. Other areas of Europe used other woods, and had bows
          other than the 'classic' English long bow in 'period'. Plus,
          several areas of South, Central and Southern North America
          were known and extensively explored before 1600 by the
          Spanish. So even some 'native' american bows can be
          'period'. Most asiatic bows in use before 1600 can also be
          included as 'period' in the SCA.

          I have no information on hickory being used for bows
          before 1600, but hickory is not just a native American wood.
          It is also native to Eastern Asia, and fossil remains have
          been found in Greenland, Iceland and even in Europe. But
          basically, what Baron Ben said is correct.
          >if you show up on the range with a bow without center
          >cut arrow shelf and with proper arrows, you may shoot
          >in the period division in the outlands (or most any other
          >Kingdom). If you enter a bow in an A&S competition,
          >be well prepared for many challenges on minutiae.
          The only things I might want to add is that the bow should
          be mostly wood, and you might run into a few people who
          think that the ONLY truely 'period' bow is an ELB. They are
          wrong, so don't let them buffalo you.

          YIS
          Evian Blackthorn of THE WEB
          http://www.spider-strands.com
          Editor, Bodkin and Bolt Magazine
          http://www.dskonline.net/bodkin
        • eulenhorst@juno.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 2, 2002
            Thank you, Evian. Yes, I was referring to English references of the
            period.

            In service to the dream,
            Carolus von Eulenhorst
            eulenhorst@...