Re: [SCA-Archery] fletching cuts

  • Nest verch Tangwystyl
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 29, 2001
      --- "Hal B. Clark" <hlclark@...> wrote:
      > I kinda hate to say this but all of you are right. Bad glue, bad
      > whipping, bad cutting of the quill can all result in those painful
      > cuts. The answer is to take care when making your arrows and
      > examining/rejecting arrows made for you. I do not wear a glove but see
      > no reason not to do same. A "strap rest" similar to archers finger
      > gloves may also be used which fasten around the wrist and have cut outs
      > for the thumb and index fingers with leather protecting the web of the
      > thumb.
      > Walk Tall
      > Baron Ben

      Normally I do not wear a glove on my bow hand. However, today I had to
      wrap a bandaid around my pointer finger. I had wacked it with arrow
      fletchings while shooting a new bow which had not been set up completely
      yet. The nocking point was too low leading to the arrow dragging across my
      hand more than usual. These were arrows that I made myself and have been
      shooting for months with no problem. Of course that didn't stop my from
      shooting so the finger started to hurt more and more when I switched back
      to the other bow. So I can manage to hurt myself even with arrows which
      are just fine. ;} Just goes to show there are more ways than you can
      shake a stick (or stick and string) at for managing to cause owies.

      Nest

      http://greetings.yahoo.com