fletching cuts

  • Hal B. Clark
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 28, 2001
      I kinda hate to say this but all of you are right. Bad glue, bad
      whipping, bad cutting of the quill can all result in those painful
      cuts. The answer is to take care when making your arrows and
      examining/rejecting arrows made for you. I do not wear a glove but see
      no reason not to do same. A "strap rest" similar to archers finger
      gloves may also be used which fasten around the wrist and have cut outs
      for the thumb and index fingers with leather protecting the web of the
      thumb.
      Walk Tall
      Baron Ben
    • Nest verch Tangwystyl
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 29, 2001
        --- "Hal B. Clark" <hlclark@...> wrote:
        > I kinda hate to say this but all of you are right. Bad glue, bad
        > whipping, bad cutting of the quill can all result in those painful
        > cuts. The answer is to take care when making your arrows and
        > examining/rejecting arrows made for you. I do not wear a glove but see
        > no reason not to do same. A "strap rest" similar to archers finger
        > gloves may also be used which fasten around the wrist and have cut outs
        > for the thumb and index fingers with leather protecting the web of the
        > thumb.
        > Walk Tall
        > Baron Ben

        Normally I do not wear a glove on my bow hand. However, today I had to
        wrap a bandaid around my pointer finger. I had wacked it with arrow
        fletchings while shooting a new bow which had not been set up completely
        yet. The nocking point was too low leading to the arrow dragging across my
        hand more than usual. These were arrows that I made myself and have been
        shooting for months with no problem. Of course that didn't stop my from
        shooting so the finger started to hurt more and more when I switched back
        to the other bow. So I can manage to hurt myself even with arrows which
        are just fine. ;} Just goes to show there are more ways than you can
        shake a stick (or stick and string) at for managing to cause owies.

        Nest

        http://greetings.yahoo.com