Re: [SCA-Archery] English Longbow

  • Chad and Erin Wilson
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 25, 2001
      > Congratulations
      >
      > Howard

      Thanks. I feel more medieval just holding it. Time to buy a new dozen arrows
      and learn to shoot it effectively.

      -Caedmon
    • Howpatn@cs.com
      Message 2 of 28 , Dec 25, 2001
        Longbows are different than recurves. You'll find that the draw is somewhat
        rougher but the release is smooth and quiet. I shoot a Martin 55# longbow
        drawn to 30". If you have a true English longbow (no rest), you might want to
        invest in a glove to protect your hand. Feathers passing over bare skin at
        high speed can hurt.

        Good luck and have fun.

        If you can, get tapered arrows. They are fun to shoot and pack a punch if you
        hunt with a bow. I know an excellent arrow maker if you need arrows made.
        email me privately at howpatn@... and I'll send you his website and
        telephone no.

        Howard of Brockenhurst

      • Nest verch Tangwystyl
        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 26, 2001
          --- Chad and Erin Wilson <chaderin@...> wrote:
          > Finally got mine and my lady's english longbow for Christmas.
          >
          > Yay us.
          >
          > Merry Christmas.
          >
          > -Caedmon

          Congratulations. I gave my daughter a British longbow for Xmas also. We
          are going down to the local archery lanes to try it out this afternoon.
          She had been shooting with a 20 lb American flatbow. The new one is 40
          lbs, but we have a 30 lb for her to use while she works up. The 20 lb was
          woefully under weight for her. We are now the proud owners of 4 of these
          beauties.

          I shoot off my hand without a glove with no problem. However, do check
          your arrows to make sure the feather which travels over your hand is
          attached carefully. It really needs to be a smooth join. When I first got
          into longbow I put a feather right through my finger. It had not been
          attached very well. That was before I made my own arrows. My daughter will
          probably start out with a glove on her bow hand though.

          After the discussion on slipping nocking points the other day I went home
          and shecked mine. It had indeed slipped North about 1 inch. The arrows
          were flying really poorly, and my aiming point had moved, but did I make
          the connection? Not a chance. I just thought I had picked up a bad habit
          that was affecting my arrow flight. The nocking point is back where it
          belongs. The things you pick up on this list are great.

          Nest

          http://greetings.yahoo.com
        • Walter Davis
          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 27, 2001
            You people are really pissin' me off. All of you gittin' these English
            Longbows and I'm not! Since I'm too poor to buy a decent one I guess I'm
            going to have to get off my lazy butt and learn how to make them. I can
            make arrows, even period ones, very well but I've never attempted a bow. I
            guess that will have to change. I hope your daughter really enjoys her new
            bow.

            Oudoceus Kynith
            Shire of Rosenfeld
            Kingdom of Ansteorra

            On Wed, 26 Dec 2001 07:14:25 -0800 (PST), SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com wrote:

            > --- Chad and Erin Wilson <chaderin@...> wrote:
            > > Finally got mine and my lady's english longbow for Christmas.
            > >
            > > Yay us.
            > >
            > > Merry Christmas.
            > >
            > > -Caedmon
            >
            > Congratulations. I gave my daughter a British longbow for Xmas also. We
            > are going down to the local archery lanes to try it out this afternoon.
            > She had been shooting with a 20 lb American flatbow. The new one is 40
            > lbs, but we have a 30 lb for her to use while she works up. The 20 lb was
            > woefully under weight for her. We are now the proud owners of 4 of these
            > beauties.
            >
            > I shoot off my hand without a glove with no problem. However, do check
            > your arrows to make sure the feather which travels over your hand is
            > attached carefully. It really needs to be a smooth join. When I first got
            > into longbow I put a feather right through my finger. It had not been
            > attached very well. That was before I made my own arrows. My daughter
            will
            > probably start out with a glove on her bow hand though.
            >
            > After the discussion on slipping nocking points the other day I went home
            > and shecked mine. It had indeed slipped North about 1 inch. The arrows
            > were flying really poorly, and my aiming point had moved, but did I make
            > the connection? Not a chance. I just thought I had picked up a bad habit
            > that was affecting my arrow flight. The nocking point is back where it
            > belongs. The things you pick up on this list are great.
            >
            > Nest

            > http://greetings.yahoo.com

            Send a friend your Buddy Card and stay in contact always with Excite Messenger
            http://messenger.excite.com
          • Chad Wilson
            Message 5 of 28 , Dec 27, 2001
              --- Walter Davis <wdjr@...> wrote:
              > You people are really pissin' me off. All of you gittin' these English
              > Longbows and I'm not! Since I'm too poor to buy a decent one I guess I'm
              > going to have to get off my lazy butt and learn how to make them. I can
              > make arrows, even period ones, very well but I've never attempted a bow. I
              > guess that will have to change. I hope your daughter really enjoys her new
              > bow.

              http://www.woodbows.com/index.html

              This is the one my parents got the bow from (with my approval, of course).

              $99 + $10 Shipping turned out be a sweet price.

              Now, let's assume you don't have $109 just floating around wasting oxygen, you
              could hit your friends up for a together birthday gift or something like that.
              *grin*

              That's what friends are for, yes?

              -Caedmon

              http://greetings.yahoo.com
            • James De Warrenne
              Message 6 of 28 , Dec 27, 2001
                Greetings Oudoceus Kynith

                First let me say that your being pissed off and poor is not their or anyone
                elses fault. Please don't take it out on them.

                Second, I too am dirt rich and money poor, have been making arrows (even
                period ones) for some time, but have not made a bow yet.
                But, this November, I got to cut down some oak trees and they are currently
                drying in my house. In a few months they should be dry
                enough for me to start working on. In the meantime, I have bought some kiln
                dried wood to practice on. I am buying poplar as it is not
                expensive and easy to work with. All I am doing is learning the technique.
                Later, I will get some yew or osage to work with.

                If you would like to learn how to make bows together, I am willing to assist
                you in any way I can. I have the handtools needed and plenty of books to
                read. Also, I have asked for help on this list in the past and have gotten
                also experts in Texas, like Jim Hamm, who may also be willing to teach you.

                I hope I can be of service
                Ld James
                Shire of Tempio, Ansteorra
                Cadet to Dore'

                >From: Walter Davis <wdjr@...>
                >To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] English Longbow
                >Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 07:52:43 -0800 (PST)
                >
                >You people are really pissin' me off. All of you gittin' these English
                >Longbows and I'm not! Since I'm too poor to buy a decent one I guess I'm
                >going to have to get off my lazy butt and learn how to make them. I can
                >make arrows, even period ones, very well but I've never attempted a bow. I
                >guess that will have to change. I hope your daughter really enjoys her new
                >bow.
                >
                >Oudoceus Kynith
                >Shire of Rosenfeld
                >Kingdom of Ansteorra

              • Lillian Watson
                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 27, 2001
                  >Longbows are different than recurves. You'll find that the draw is somewhat
                  >rougher but the release is smooth and quiet. I shoot a Martin 55# longbow
                  >drawn to 30". If you have a true English longbow (no rest), you might want to
                  >invest in a glove to protect your hand. Feathers passing over bare skin at
                  >high speed can hurt.

                  Greetings,
                  I whole heartily agree that burying a feather into your bow hand can
                  ruin anyone's day. Gloves do work, but if there is even one arrow that has
                  a bit of excess glue, the glove will get cut up. How quickly will depend
                  on how much you practice. Instead, I would offer you this solution; whip
                  the leading ends of your fletching. I have had great success with
                  artificial sinew, silk, embroidery floss (the good gentle insisted I match
                  his colors) as well as other threads. If you use a thread, after the arrow
                  is fletched, dab on some glue and work it in with your finger. This will
                  help weatherproof and protect the thread.

                  I have dealt with Mr. Silva of Woodbows.com numerous times over the
                  past year. He is a great bowyer and a very kind and honorable
                  man. Congratulations on your new bows.

                  Aibinn Sleibe Glass
                  Kingdom of the Outlands
                  Shire of Nahrun
                • Eadric Anstapa
                  Message 8 of 28 , Dec 27, 2001
                    Poor Oudoceus.

                    Last time I checked weren't you shooting a HOWARD HILL longbow?

                    :-)

                    Lord Eadric Anstapa
                    Coastal Regional Archery Marshal, Ansteorra
                    eadric@...

                  • cwilson@mhmh.org
                    Message 9 of 28 , Dec 27, 2001
                      Oh no, not a HOWARD HILL longbow. The poor guy. I guess he also has to
                      suffer with a Bear recurve?

                      Some archers are just so destitute. *smirk*

                      -Caedmon
                    • Nest verch Tangwystyl
                      Message 10 of 28 , Dec 27, 2001
                        > You people are really pissin' me off. All of you gittin' these English
                        > Longbows and I'm not!

                        Gloat, Gloat. Oh dear, did I say that in my outdoor voice. I really
                        shouldn't gloat. ;}

                        > Since I'm too poor to buy a decent one I guess
                        > I'm
                        > going to have to get off my lazy butt and learn how to make them. I can
                        > make arrows, even period ones, very well but I've never attempted a bow.

                        Actually I would also love to make my own bows. I have access to 150 acres
                        of woods in Mass. No yew, but lots of oak, holly and cherry. It is on the
                        list. My husband and I plan on taking down a couple of big oaks to enlarge
                        out outdoor shooting lanes. Beyond that though I am still way far from
                        making my own bows.

                        > guess that will have to change. I hope your daughter really enjoys her
                        > new
                        > bow.

                        She does. Thank you. Now she has to make arrows. Ha Ha. Her biggest
                        problem was that her fingers started to hurt. She isn't used to pulling
                        the string.

                        Nest

                        http://greetings.yahoo.com
                      • wodeford
                        Message 11 of 28 , Dec 27, 2001
                          --- In SCA-Archery@y..., Lillian Watson <lillianw@z...> wrote:
                          > Greetings,
                          > I whole heartily agree that burying a feather into your bow
                          > hand can
                          > ruin anyone's day. Gloves do work, but if there is even one arrow
                          > that has
                          > a bit of excess glue, the glove will get cut up.

                          Cut up? By turkey feathers?

                          I've used an old Wells Lamont deerskin roping glove and have not had
                          a problem. Ropers HAVE to hold up to friction wear.Yes, they DO make
                          ladies sizes, but you might have to go to a tack shop (equestrian
                          supplier) to find them because Home Depot only stocks work gloves in
                          Large, Huge and Friggin' Gigantic.

                          The glove also prevents sweaty palm slippage on warm days. I'll trade
                          that for the resulting dye stains.

                          Jehanne de Wodeford, Rusted Woodlands (EAST)
                        • conradvonzollern
                          Message 12 of 28 , Dec 27, 2001
                            Lillian Watson <lillianw@z...> wrote:

                            "I have dealt with Mr. Silva of Woodbows.com numerous times over the
                            past year. He is a great bowyer and a very kind and honorable man."

                            Not only are the prices on his bows good, his customer service is
                            absolutely fantastic, and he occasionally sells for even less on
                            eBay...

                            I bought two of his bows for $65.00 each earlier this year on eBay,
                            and he actually custom built them both to my specifications...

                            Perhaps they do not shoot as nicely as some high quality yew bows
                            would, but it is hard to complain at that price!

                            Conrad Von Zollern
                          • Howpatn@cs.com
                            Message 13 of 28 , Dec 27, 2001
                              try www.woodbows.com

                            • Howpatn@cs.com
                              Message 14 of 28 , Dec 27, 2001
                                I email the owner of woodbows.com concerning a heavier bow.
                                For $129, he will make a 60# bow but it is 78".

                              • conradvonzollern
                                Message 15 of 28 , Dec 27, 2001
                                  Howpatn@c... wrote:

                                  "I email the owner of woodbows.com concerning a heavier bow.
                                  For $129, he will make a 60# bow but it is 78"."

                                  Mine is 56# @ 30" and it is 74" long... At the time that he made it,
                                  it was the most powerful bow that he had made... I am perfectly happy
                                  with it even though the string broke within the first month (no
                                  damage to the bow), he just didn't beef up the string sufficiently...
                                  If you order the bigger bow, you might mention that to him... I have
                                  been told by several people who have shot it at archery practice that
                                  it does have 'significant' hand shock, but I am used to it. :^) I
                                  replaced the string with one that I made (18 strands), and a friend
                                  put leather grip put on it...

                                  Phil has two bows on eBay right now... a 44# @ 28" and a 42# @ 28":

                                  http://cgi.ebay.aol.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1053656957

                                  http://cgi.ebay.aol.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1053416118

                                  Personally, I think that is plenty for out to 40 yards... My ladies
                                  is 42# @ 28" and she is perfectly happy with it.

                                  Conrad Von Zollern
                                • Lillian Watson
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Dec 27, 2001

                                    >"Cut up? By turkey feathers?"
                                    No, cut up by dried glue.

                                    If the fletcher is untidy and leaves a little glob of glue on the leading
                                    point of the fletching base, it will cut skin or leather, same same. If
                                    the fletching is applied very neatly, then this isn't a
                                    problem. But.... everything I have read and all the videos I have seen,
                                    the fletcher is highly encouraged to put a bit of extra glue at the point
                                    of each fletch, to prevent it from lifting. It is very easy to leave a bit
                                    of extra glue, especially if you are accustomed to crafting arrows for
                                    center shoot bows. Whipping is easy, period and a safe way to shoot bare
                                    handed.

                                    Aibinn Shiebe Glass
                                  • Susan Kell
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Dec 28, 2001
                                      Greetings, Aibinn -
                                      I respectfully beg to differ with your opinions of "glue globs". The
                                      leading point of the pith of a feather can be very sharp. Putting a drop of
                                      glue over it covers it with a smooth, hard shell which slides over things
                                      less destructively -- it is less likely to drive into your flesh (or glove),
                                      and more likely to survive burying into or being pulled through a target.
                                      Even when I serve the ends of the feather with thread, I put a drop of glue
                                      or sealer over the pint *and* work more into the threads in that area to
                                      make the assembly more durable.
                                      If the dried glue itself is what is actually cutting you or your glove up, I
                                      suspect it might be old/crunchy and in need of smoothing over or replacement
                                      by a new "glob" 8-) It could also have been a thinner glue which only
                                      served to "armor" the sharp point, rather than to cover or smooth it.
                                      -- Ygraine

                                      If the fletcher is untidy and leaves a little glob of glue on the leading
                                      point of the fletching base, it will cut skin or leather, same same. If
                                      the fletching is applied very neatly, then this isn't a
                                      problem. But.... everything I have read and all the videos I have seen,
                                      the fletcher is highly encouraged to put a bit of extra glue at the point
                                      of each fletch, to prevent it from lifting. It is very easy to leave a bit
                                      of extra glue, especially if you are accustomed to crafting arrows for
                                      center shoot bows. Whipping is easy, period and a safe way to shoot bare
                                      handed.

                                      Aibinn Shiebe Glass

                                      Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2001 by Baron Bows

                                    • Lillian Watson
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Dec 28, 2001
                                        Yes I agree, it can be either or. In my shire I have seen more cuts from
                                        glue because the person fletching wasn't taking their time and left a sharp
                                        edge. But which ever is the source of a sharp edge isn't the issue
                                        really. I was merely suggesting whipping (wrapping) as means of protecting
                                        the fletching from possible damage (having to pull the arrow through the
                                        other side of a target) and of protecting the hand of the shooter.

                                        Aibinn

                                        At 01:46 PM 12/28/01 -0500, you wrote:
                                        >Greetings, Aibinn -
                                        >I respectfully beg to differ with your opinions of "glue globs". The
                                        >leading point of the pith of a feather can be very sharp. Putting a drop of
                                        >glue over it covers it with a smooth, hard shell which slides over things
                                        >less destructively -- it is less likely to drive into your flesh (or glove),
                                        >and more likely to survive burying into or being pulled through a target.
                                        >Even when I serve the ends of the feather with thread, I put a drop of glue
                                        >or sealer over the pint *and* work more into the threads in that area to
                                        >make the assembly more durable.
                                        >If the dried glue itself is what is actually cutting you or your glove up, I
                                        >suspect it might be old/crunchy and in need of smoothing over or replacement
                                        >by a new "glob" 8-) It could also have been a thinner glue which only
                                        >served to "armor" the sharp point, rather than to cover or smooth it.
                                        >-- Ygraine

                                      • Susan Kell
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Dec 28, 2001
                                          D'uh - that should have said "over the pith"... Shows where *my* mind was,
                                          I guess!
                                          -- Ygraine

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Aug 15 3:55 AM
                                            I am in the market for an English longbow with horn nocks. Has anybody found a good source for these?
                                            Thanks
                                            Gwyn

                                          • Cian of Storvik
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Aug 15 4:55 PM
                                              Define what you mean by a "Good" source? Reputible? Inexpensive? Fast?

                                              With bows, more often then not, you tend to get what you pay for.
                                              I own 2 English "D" style longbows. One is a triple laminant victorian
                                              style longbow. The other is a self Yew with a rawhide backing from
                                              Gerald Welch. Mr. Welch, of Welchman Longbow Company, made the world
                                              record breaking 200 lb. yew Bow for Chief A.J.

                                              The triple laminant (Victorian era bow technically) with fully carved
                                              horn tips, a horn inlay arrow pass and leather grip (examples from the
                                              Mary Rose and period illustations have no evidence of a grip), is from
                                              OLDBOW.COM. Called "The Bowman" They run about $450+ship, but you
                                              sometimes have to take what they have in stock if you want it fast.
                                              They also sell a solid Yew Bow "The Royal Bowman" quoted between six
                                              and eight hundred dollars, which if it is anything like the triple
                                              laminant will be quite fine, but Ouch!

                                              I think Pip Bickerstaffe of Bickerstaffe Bows in the U.K. makes some
                                              of the best English Longbows I've come across. But I believe he has
                                              restrictions about shipping to the U.S. Starting at around $400 US,
                                              the classics and custom models as well as shipping will be painful.
                                              Eagle Classic Archery sells some nice looking bows, but they have a
                                              disclaimer that they will not export bows due to the expense and risk
                                              of freight.
                                              -Cian of Storvik, Atlantia
                                            • Gary Henderson
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Aug 16 4:12 AM
                                                I am looking for a longbow that would be a good representation of those used
                                                in the hundred year war. Price, I am willing to go as high as 600 but if I
                                                go that high I want to make sure that it is a good quality shooting bow.
                                                Gwyn
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Aug 16 6:31 AM
                                                  If following the British Longbow Society's rules the depth must be
                                                  no less then 5/8" the width and have must have horn nocks (of any
                                                  animal). The closest to original would be the "Royal Bowman" from
                                                  OLDBOW.COM or Pacific Yew's self yew English style.

                                                  Self Yew (no laminations) with sapwood back and heartwood belly.
                                                  The golden color of the yew would be discernable even from a
                                                  distance. But price starts at $650. Pacific Yew self yew bows start
                                                  at $660 with horn nocks. A nit picker would point out that medieval
                                                  examples don't have an arrow pass or a grip.

                                                  I just checked Bickerstaffe and Eagle Classic Archery both have
                                                  disclaimers now that they will not ship bows to the U.S. Neither of
                                                  them list a solid self Yew. Bakewell bows also makes laminant "D"
                                                  style english bows. Not sure if or how much shipping to the US they
                                                  would charge.

                                                  The next closest to original would be one of the laminant types
                                                  (victorian era bows had laminations). They tend to have a layer of
                                                  Hickory or fiberglass along with one or two softer woods for
                                                  expansion. You tend to save about $100-$200 savings over a self bow,
                                                  but hand-shock tends to be discernable over a self made yew. Old
                                                  Bow's laminant "Bowman" is $450 (which I personally like, but once
                                                  again there's some handshock). Bakewell Bows has the Conquest ~$400
                                                  and the Elite ~$500.
                                                  -Cian
                                                • Simon Hondy
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Aug 16 7:45 AM
                                                    One crucial thing to remember about wood bows, is do not hold them at draw.
                                                    If you are an archer that holds the draw for more than a second, you should
                                                    look at Hill style bows not self or all wood laminate bows. I hold my draw
                                                    for 3 to 5 seconds, and find that wood bows will not last while doing this.

                                                    I will second the opinion on any bow from Oldbow.com. Eric is a perfect
                                                    gentleman really knows bows, and will not sell anything that he does not
                                                    feel is worth the cost for the value.

                                                    Simon Hondy
                                                    "Cum Omni humilitate
                                                    faciant ipsas artes"
                                                    -St. Benedict
                                                  • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Aug 20 4:53 PM
                                                      Try Elk Ridge Archery I have one. They are NOT cheap.

                                                      James Cunningham
                                                      > I am in the market for an English longbow with horn nocks. Has anybody
                                                      found a good source for these?
                                                      > Thanks
                                                      > Gwyn

                                                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                                    • Elizabeth Hawkwood
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Aug 22 5:36 PM
                                                        Gwyn,

                                                        Steve Ralphs makes an excellent longbow, visit his website
                                                        www.steveralphs.com I've been shooting one of his longbows for several
                                                        years and highly recommend it.

                                                        Elizabeth

                                                        Nothing's Forgotten, Nothing is Ever Forgotten