Re: Primitive releases

  • James Koch
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 16, 1999
      I recently asked regarding releases for individuals who lack the hand
      strength to hold the string at full draw. Just out of curiosity I built a
      release of my own design. This consists of a wooden dowel about 1 inch in
      diameter and 6 inches long. It is slit about half way down its length.
      The first 1/2 inch of the slit has been widened with a file so that an
      arrow nock can pass through far enough for the prongs of the nock to
      project. I hold it in my fist with the open end just projecting past my
      thumb. I nock an arrow, and slide the release back along the shaft until
      it engages the string, and squeeze to grip the nock. I can then draw the
      bow quite easily with very little force om my fingers. I anchor the end of
      the dowel just as I otherwise would my fingers, and when I am ready to
      loose I simply relax my grip and the bow shoots. It was easy to learn to
      shoot with such a release. My only problem was that the arrow tended to
      want to fall off the narrow (fiberglass bow) arrow shelf. I compensated by
      canting the bow slightly. I used the fiberglass bow since it had a soft
      nocking point of duct tape on the string. Due to a lack of foresight, my
      dowel didn't have a cut out to accomodate a regular metal nocking point.

      So here is a question for the group. Has anyone ever read, heard tell of,
      seen a period release device other than the thumb rings, gloves, and finger
      tabs we run across all of the time? If so, please apprise me.

      Jim Koch
      James Koch