Bowstrings - nocking points

  • hanhebin
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 19, 2001
      Ed Eliason last night was teaching me a new way to put a knocking
      point on a bowstring by using thread, superglue and cross country ski
      wax. Ed was stating that there is no nock slipage and increases the
      performance of the bow. Has anybody else seen this done?

      Michael
    • Chad Wilson
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 19, 2001
        --- hanhebin <hamberg@...> wrote:
        > Ed Eliason last night was teaching me a new way to put a knocking
        > point on a bowstring by using thread, superglue and cross country ski
        > wax. Ed was stating that there is no nock slipage and increases the
        > performance of the bow. Has anybody else seen this done?

        Never seen it done.

        But, I've never had any nock slippage problems. That solution sounds awfully
        permanent and unmovable.

        -Caedmon, 6 days until he gets his new bow for christmas, and atlatl

        or bid at http://auctions.yahoo.com
      • Seán Moore
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 19, 2001
          For modern competition shooting, I use medical tape on either side of my
          longbow string nocking point, with nail varnish over the tape and point for
          hardness.
          For period shooting, I serve linen or silk thread onto the bowstring serving
          to create the top and bottom limits of my nocking point, the linen and silk
          are self binding and hence don't slip.

          Hope this helps,

          Se�n Moore

          From: "hanhebin" <hamberg@...>
          To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: [SCA-Archery] Bowstrings - nocking points
          Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 15:35:02 -0000

          Ed Eliason last night was teaching me a new way to put a knocking
          point on a bowstring by using thread, superglue and cross country ski
          wax. Ed was stating that there is no nock slipage and increases the
          performance of the bow. Has anybody else seen this done?

          Michael

          Brought to you YahooGroups Ad Free in 2001 by Baron Bows

        • hanhebin
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 19, 2001
            >> Ed Eliason last night was teaching me a new way to put a knocking
            >> point on a bowstring by using thread, superglue and cross country
            >> ski wax. Ed was stating that there is no nock slipage and
            >> increases the performance of the bow. Has anybody else seen this
            >> done?
            >
            > Never seen it done.
            >
            > But, I've never had any nock slippage problems. That solution
            > sounds awfully permanent and unmovable.

            I would of thought so too but Ed took off his old two nocking points
            and put on a new one and was teaching me how to do it. It was really
            quick (maybe 10 minutes) and looked easy to do. I probably wouldn't
            do it for an inexperienced archer but

            What I'm thinking might be nice is to take several pictures of the
            process and distribute them with written instructions. I bought a
            few months back a digital camera so it wouldn't be hard to document
            the process and burn the document onto a CDR for distribution.

            Michael
          • grey_taylor
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 19, 2001
              I simply do what a lot of mundane traditional archers do. I use
              dental floss cord. Half hitched a couple of times, wrapped around
              the bowstring to build up a bit and reef knotted to finish. Melting
              the ends of the knot won't hurt. I used to put a drop of Duco on the
              ball to help hold it in place but have neglected that lately and have
              had no trouble with it moving or coming off. Waxed or un-waked seems
              to make no difference.

              I can tell when I'm at full draw by that minty green smell... :-)

              Taillear

              --- In SCA-Archery@y..., "hanhebin" <hamberg@f...> wrote:
              > Ed Eliason last night was teaching me a new way to put a knocking
              > point on a bowstring by using thread, superglue and cross country
              ski
              > wax. Ed was stating that there is no nock slipage and increases
              the
              > performance of the bow. Has anybody else seen this done?
              >
              > Michael
            • Susan Kell
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 19, 2001
                I've been using a similar technique since Master David McDougalls showed it
                to me years back. Additional benefit is that it looks much less modern than
                a "clamp on" nocking point.
                -- Ygraine