(Forwarded message) Thumb rings

  • Bob & Nancy Upson
      Subject: Thumb ring

      Hello archers,
      first of all, thanks to those who replied on my
      mail about the Hun bow. Many
      times there was a mentioned a thumb ring, and the
      eastern release. Can somebody
      describe how a thumb ring looks like (as I would
      like to try to make one) and
      how the eastern release works? I tried to pull my
      bow with my thumb hoked uned
      the string, but it was really _difficult_ even
      with my soft longbow (under #30
      IMHO), so I can't imagine if I would be able to
      shoot this way with my Hun. And
      what about aiming when shooting this way?

      Now, I had one more question, but maybe nobody
      noticed (as there was no reply)
      so I will try it once again: how large target and
      at which distance one can
      normally hit with a bow without sight and arrow
      rest? I think you have surely
      some target competitions in SCA, so can somebody
      tell me what are the rules, and
      the results?

      Thanks again in advance
      Daniel