Scottish Bows

  • Robert L Brunnemer
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 1999
      Hallo!!!

      Well since no one else is talking, and I am really bored why don't I
      interject with another question that no one but me cares about. :-)

      I am curious what kind of bows were used in Scotland in the early 1000's.
      Does anyone know? If not I am also curious what kind of bow a viking
      would have preferred. I know that they would have the choice to most of
      the kinds because of heavy trade/raiding, but I am curious if they
      preferred one over the other. Thanks for any advice you may be able to
      give! And...

      Have a nice day!!!
      Robert
      Hugewheels@...
      Tha mi a'fluich mi kilt!!!

    • Obsidian
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 1999
        Robert L Brunnemer wrote:

        > From: Robert L Brunnemer <hugewheels@...>
        >
        > Hallo!!!
        >
        > Well since no one else is talking, and I am really bored why don't I
        > interject with another question that no one but me cares about. :-)
        >
        > I am curious what kind of bows were used in Scotland in the early 1000's.
        > Does anyone know? If not I am also curious what kind of bow a viking
        > would have preferred. I know that they would have the choice to most of
        > the kinds because of heavy trade/raiding, but I am curious if they
        > preferred one over the other.

        Snip

        Greetings
        Scots weren't big on archery, but it did exist up there in the early
        1000's. The bows that were used were very probably shortbows; small
        hunting-style self-bows made of oak, ash, or yew. Longbows might have
        been encountered (indeed, there is a famous one dug up out of a peat-bog
        near Denny. It's about 3300 years old, so it's a bit out of period...),
        but they seem to have been rare in early period. Arrows would have been
        of ash, most usually.
        Scandinavians had a considerably greater appreciation for archery, and
        their available technology is correspondingly better documented. They
        also used shortbow styles, but they also retained knowledge of longbows
        as well. Again, the bows would have been made mostly of ash or oak; the
        best yew for bows came from Iberia. I'm not sure how many Mediaeval bows
        from Scandinavia have survived, if any, so I'm not sure whether they
        were still using the "O" cross-section, or whether they had figured out
        about "D" cross-sections yet.
        I would recommend Robert Hardy's "LONGBOW: A Social and Military
        History" (Bois d'Arc Press 1992; ISBN 1-55821-235-3) as a good general
        intro to the subject.

        Forester Nigel FitzMaurice

        --

        Ex Tenebra, Lux