Re: Mission Statement Rough Draft

  • Robert L Brunnemer
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 28, 1999
      Hallo!!!

      I like the idea Ancel talked about, with the large amount of authenticity
      that he has for his other groups. And that would definitely be ideal,
      but I don't think that really that would be require the same amount of
      authenticity. But to a smaller extent maybe it would work out. I think
      that the best thing to do with this would be to have it appear to be
      authentic from 10' or more. And I think that all of the hand sewing of
      seams would be a bit much. I think throughout all of this rambling you
      get the idea of what I am saying.

      Have a nice day!!!
      Robert
      Hugewheels@...
      Tha mi a'fluich mi kilt!!!

    • Karl W. Evoy
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 23, 2000
        I know I'm late in replying to this post, but my computer has been down
        since late July, and I just got the new one hooked up. I have been wading
        through the 900+ e-mails (most from this list) and have been most interested
        by the various threads involving the Period Archry Company (they've kind of
        braided themselves into a bowstring).
        I belong to a Revolutionary War Unit, and the required level of
        authenticity
        to field is very high. The most inauthentic objects I have seen on the field
        have been modern pattern shoes, and these are hidden under canvas
        half-leggings. Any modern items are hidden away in campboxes, haversacks,
        etc. All visable seams are hand sewn, buttons are of a period pattern, etc.
        The cost is rather high by our standards, rangeing from a few hundred
        dollars for a militia unit ( most of the cost being the musket, and units
        frequently have members with spare gear to loan newcomers) to a few thousand
        for the well dressed British Grenedier or Fusilier ( fussy uniform details
        and those impressive bearskin hats!)
        As I can attest to, this level of commitment to period detail is not
        for everyone. However, the SCA is a very inclusive orginization, as it
        should be. This is what makes it a great place to play, learn, teach and do.
        However, I feel this proposed Company should require a higher level of
        authenticity, not to be a snobbish, exclusive club within the SCA, but
        because that can be fun and rewarding also. Ancel