Re: [SCA-Archery] more Apples and Oranges:

  • blkknighti@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 3, 2001
      In a message dated 12/3/01 9:02:58 AM, ragnar@... writes:

      << I kind of curious how many crossbow people think the forms are equal
      verses how many hand bow people think the forms are equal
      For my part it took me 20 years to get over 120RR with a hand bow &
      8 mounts with a crossbow ( I do a lot of rifle shooting that I think
      helped considerably)
      Ragnar Two Ax >>

      For the sake of your curiosity only: I shoot long bow, recurve and crossbow.
      IMHO longbow is much more difficult than crossbow.
      I also feel that period longbow requires more skill than modern recurve.

      Richard
    • Harry Bilings
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 4, 2001
        I shoot both recurve and crossbow and they are NOT equal. They are each
        challenging in there own way.
        plachoya
        insignificant archer
        Ravensfort, Ansteorra

        >From: Jack Bradley <ragnar@...>
        >To: "SCA-Archery@egroups.com" <SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: [SCA-Archery] more Apples and Oranges:
        >Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 09:00:00 -0500
        >
        > I kind of curious how many crossbow people think the forms are equal
        >verses how many hand bow people think the forms are equal
        > For my part it took me 20 years to get over 120RR with a hand bow &
        >8 mounts with a crossbow ( I do a lot of rifle shooting that I think
        >helped considerably)
        >Ragnar Two Ax

      • Harry Bilings
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 4, 2001
          My primitive period crossbow is much better in my hands than my modern
          recurve in my hands. But that is only since I have figured out the feeding
          requirements for my crossbow. It currently likes 3/8 oak dowels that are 15"
          with 125 gr points, would not shoot arrow shafts more than about 8 or 9
          times with out misfiring.
          plachoya
          insignificant archer
          Ravensfort, Ansteorra