Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: another newbie

  • corr.mhaire@juno.com
    Message 1 of 35 , Dec 2, 2001
      Cheesy-schmeesy. My first bow was a cheep-ie second-hand fiberglass that
      could be shot left or right handed, perfect for starting out (especially
      since I couldn't figure out which handed I was). It happened to be a
      kind of OD green so I painted some knot-work designs on the face of the
      bow to make it look more SCA spiffy. I still have it though I don't
      shoot it anymore, can't let myself part with it and the paint job. I
      now shoot a Martin X-200 and they are are good bow for the money and the
      wood graining on all the ones I've seen is very pretty.

      Cecelia

      > --- Howpatn@... wrote:
      > > In a message dated 11/28/01 4:08:00 PM Eastern
      > > Standard Time,
      > > wintermoonmaiden@... writes:
      > >

      > > > I do own a 'cheesy fiberglass bow' as you put it,
      > > since I am just a
      > > > beginner. But I have one more question that you
      > > didn't ask :
      > > >

      > > Remember your 'cheesy fiberglass bow' is virtually
      > > indestructible.
      > >
      > > Quiver can be found at most archery sites. I suggest
      > > a side quiver vice a
      > > back one.
      > > They are easier to draw from and simpler to use.

    • Chad and Erin Wilson
      Message 35 of 35 , Dec 2, 2001
        [...]
        > position. Please forgive my incredulity, but can you really
        > repeatedly cock, load, aim, and fire a crossbow at a rate of one bolt
        > every 2.4 seconds?

        When one is practicing the "spray'n'pray" method, yes. I need to correct a
        detail that I mis-typed here.

        I used to shoot my speed rounds standing and drawing from side quiver, where my
        speed round was 9 bolts. That was after some warm-up. I now shoot with my
        quiver sitting on the ground to my right where my right hand can grab them. Now
        I shoot 9 to 13 per round and with more accuracy. The process of bending over
        and back up was causing weird blood flow issues to the head, so by the 7th and
        8th bolt, I was seeing double (when standing). This issue has gone away with
        crouched method.

        I shoot standing for 99% of all other situations, although I practice many
        stances (sitting, crouching, laying down, standing).

        A fast speed round is obtained from repetition and efficiency. Apply The Book
        of 5 Rings to archery...reduce any unnecessary movements. In my back yard, I
        practice by shooting 12 bolts as quickly as I can.

        I do have many witnesses who have seen my machine gun style here in the oaken
        region of the midrealm. Robert Thorne's method is more accurate more often, but
        I did shoot a 40+ once or twice in practicing speed rounds, so I figure if I
        keep at it, I could reach that level every time.

        My goal for next year is to reach Ludicrous status by the end of next summer.
        My other goal is learn to shoot my new longbow I'll be getting or Xmas.

        -Caedmon