Re: [SCA-Archery] Thumb rings

  • James De Warrenne
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 2, 2001
      Greetings again.

      Technically, the string is held on top of the ring, but it in turn is being
      held by the thumb locked into the forefinger. It is not being held by the
      ring, still by human bone and muscle.(The ONE finger hooked around the
      thumb) Having tried one, I know that it is a different form, hurts if you
      don't have a proper sized ring and tires out the thumb and forefinger. (I
      now shoot with a "western" two finger draw.)

      Those in mundane competitions who have banned them based on "release aid"
      and "mechanical cam" have obviously never tried one, or they would VERY
      quickly realize that it takes as much human muscle to hold it as any western
      form. Let alone asiatic style is an overdraw. (Have you ever seen a
      Mongolian bow shot?)

      Look at the site www.atarn.org
      They have a very nice selection of photos of asiatic style shooting and have
      som einformation on the thumbring.

      But, I do agree that using a thumb ring with an ELB is a bit out of place.
      Now, if they have a horsebow or other asiatic type bow and are shooting
      asiatic style, I say more power to them.

      James

      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 2, 2001
        > A moving part?!?! A thumbring is NOT a mechanical device in any way
        > shape or form. All it does is allow the string to be held on it (not

        Of course it is. There's nothing wrong with that. Why so defensive?

        > directly to flesh) and then protect the thumb on release. Just like a
        > finger tab does for a two or three finger draw.

        Yes and no. You could argue that a glove or tab just protects the
        fingers -- just like a callous would if we shot more often. A thumb
        ring, if my understanding is accurate, not only acts to protect the
        thumb but provides a clean edge from which a more crisp release
        is possible. That's a "mechanical device" which provides a suitable
        ridge across the thumb which nature didn't provide.

        (Mongolian style shooters will please correct me if my
        interpretation of how a thumb rings works is in error.)

        YIS,
        Macsen
      • wyvern@megahits.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 2, 2001
          > thumb, like a tab or glove, it involves no moving parts but for those
          > the good Lord gave you. Getting one that fits and works properly

          Keep in mind that a "mechanical device" doesn't necesarily have to
          have moving parts.

          > think that instead of admonishing them for using something
          > "mechanical", we ought to spot them a few points, because I've seen

          Has anyone done so? I know I have made the observation that
          thumbrings are technically a mechanical device, but I've certainly
          never bothered anyone for using one.

          YIS,
          Macsen
        • wyvern@megahits.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 2, 2001
            > Technically, as the string is held by the ring and not the fingers it
            > is a "release aid" and works as a mechanical cam.

            Thank you for that bit of confirmation. =)

            YIS,
            Macsen
          • Kazimierz Verkmastare
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 2, 2001
              Mongolian shooter here (among other things)

              Took over 2 years of working before I could regularly hit something the size of a pieplate at 20 yards (still can't do it every time, but am getting somewhat close). I started getting better when I realized that the release efficiency was in the finger that hooks over the thumb, not in the thumb ring.

              The thumb ring can be made of many materials. Metal, stone, horn, bone, even leather. Most didn't have notches or grooves for a string, though some did. I have several, everything from a solid gold falcon head thumbring (anniversary gift from my wife 4 years ago, and the thing that got me started shooting mongolian) to my daily workhorse homemade water buffalo horn ring.

              It is as far as I have been able to discern a purely protective device - it has no real effect on the speed of release. The thumb by itself is completely unable to hold a full drawn bowstring, and so the moment the finger is unhooked, the thumb very rapidly and extremely efficiently gets out of the way, with or without a ring. Actually, I prefer shooting an eastern release without a ring, and do if it is only for a few shots. So to me the ring is an invention of necessity, not an aid in release speed or efficiency.

              Kaz

            • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 2, 2001
                Greetings to the list,
                Thanks Kaz! Finally, a voice of practiced wisdom.
                I had tried using a thumbring once just to see what it was like,
                shooting off the other side of the bow, and I felt like somebody was
                asking me to scratch my ear with my elbow. In the strictest sense of the
                word mechanical, I suppose that a thumbring would be mechanical and so
                would a tab, a glove and a finger. But let's not cloud the issue. We all
                know what we mean when we say mechanical. We are referring to the
                specific type of moving parts mechanical devices such as the trigger
                releases used by compound shooters. These types of devices are clearly
                not allowed in handbow shooting in the SCA,except in extreme cases of
                physically challenged individuals and then only with the permission of
                the marshallate. The thumbring is just a hard tab to protect the thumb.
                -Geoffrei

                From: kaz@... (KazimierzĀ Verkmastare)
                Took over 2 years of working before I could regularly hit something the
                size of a pieplate at 20 yards (still can't do it every time, but am
                getting somewhat close). I started getting better when I realized that
                the release efficiency was in the finger that hooks over the thumb, not
                in the thumb ring.
                The thumb ring can be made of many materials. Metal, stone, horn, bone,
                even leather. Most didn't have notches or grooves for a string, (snip)
                It is as far as I have been able to discern a purely protective device -
                it has no real effect on the speed of release. The thumb by itself is
                completely unable to hold a full drawn bowstring, and so the moment the
                finger is unhooked, the thumb very rapidly and extremely efficiently
                gets out of the way, with or without a ring. Actually, I prefer shooting
                an eastern release without a ring, and do if it is only for a few shots.
                So to me the ring is an invention of necessity, not an aid in release
                speed or efficiency.
                Kaz

              • Marko Peussa
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 2, 2001
                  Hi all,

                  Some notes on the kyudo glove.

                  At least in Heki Ryu Insai Ha school of Kyudo, the glove has a 'thumb ring'
                  inside the glove. It's made of wood and covered with leather. The difference
                  to a normal thumb ring is that this one completely encloses the thumb. It's
                  like a wooden thumb around your thumb. The string is held in a groove at the
                  base of the wooden thumb. The groove is perpendicular to the axis of the
                  thumb and the width of the groove is less than the string width. The angle
                  of the wall of the groove is 45 degrees to the axis of the thumb. Two
                  fingers cross the thumb and lock the grip. Two fingers apply pressure on the
                  thumb from the top by the first joints only. It is very desirable to
                  maintain only minimum pressure on the thumb. In target archery, one
                  typically uses 'giriko', which is powdered resin, to achieve high friction
                  between fingers and thumb. Position of the thumb relative to arrow is also
                  very important for a good release. Not to mention what the right hand does
                  at the moment of release. The right forearm rotates around the axis of the
                  thumb. If you do the things correctly, it doesn't hurt at all.

                  All this is next to impossible explain by mail only, but I hope you get the
                  impression that the shape of the wooden thumb, groove, way of gripping and
                  other details are very important if one aims to achieve any consistency in
                  hitting. A tiny mistake in any of these spoils your accuracy.

                  Of course the glove improves shooting accuracy. That is why it is being
                  used. However, the effect is neglible until you know how to correctly shoot
                  with the glove. This takes years and it's possible that you never learn it.

                  The 'typical' accuracy that one can get with Heki Ryu Insai Ha style is
                  something like this: From a 30 ft distance you could hit a 36 cm (approx. 14
                  inch) diameter target with 90 out of 100 arrows. This was the criteria for
                  an ok archer, as specified by the late master teacher Inagaki of the school.
                  Even this requires years of hard study.

                  Yep, not an easy way to shoot.

                  Klasi-San

                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 2, 2001
                    Whoops, I meant to say 30 YARDS distance. It's not THAT difficult, he hee.

                    Klasi-San

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • eulenhorst@juno.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 2, 2001
                      No, Geoffrei,
                      A thumbring is not simply "protection" for the thumb. It fits over the
                      thumb and forms a lever held by the index finger. The string is held in
                      the gap between the finger and the thumb by the ring. This allows much
                      more force to be held than with the fingers alone; a point especially
                      important when the short bow lengths of the bows the ring are typically
                      used with are considered. These bows are of composite construction and
                      not subject to the "string following" of an all wood bow. The thumb ring
                      then allows the bow to be held longer and sighted more carefully. This
                      is the same reason for the use of modern release aids. Releasing the
                      lever allows the quick and smooth release of the string.

                      I do not admonish anyone in our society for learning the skills of the
                      thumb ring. Far from it, I applaud their efforts and encourage them to
                      do so as I stated in briefer form in my earlier post. Nonetheless, it is
                      a mechanical component and needs to be recognized as such.

                      In service to the dream,
                      Carolus von Eulenhorst
                      eulenhorst@...

                      On Sun, 2 Dec 2001 19:21:59 -0500 (EST) jrosswebb1@... writes:
                      > Dear Caroulos and all,
                      > I have several friends that shoot by thumb and use a tab on
                      > their
                      > thumb instead of a thumbring. I see no difference mechanically
                      > between
                      > the two. A thumbring is nothing more than a rigid protection for
                      > the
                      > thumb, like a tab or glove, it involves no moving parts but for
                      > those
                      > the good Lord gave you. Getting one that fits and works properly
                      > without
                      > hurting your finger is the big problem, and that is why so many
                      > have
                      > resorted to the thumb tab.
                      > As for it being used with ELB or BLBS, no, of course not!
                      > Entirely
                      > wrong discipline for the bow. As wrong if we want to get REALLY
                      > technical, as using a European two or three fingered draw with an
                      > asiatic or Middle Eastern recurve. I applaud those brave souls that
                      > want
                      > to use a thumb release to be in period with their personnas. I
                      > think
                      > that instead of admonishing them for using something "mechanical",
                      > we
                      > ought to spot them a few points, because I've seen very few
                      > scadians
                      > that have gone ths route that could actually hit anything. (I said
                      > very
                      > few, Nicetas). Have you ever seen a kyudo glove? Talk about an
                      > engineering feat.....yet, it's still just a glove.
                      > -Geoffrei
                      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.