Re: Archery Company Guidelines

  • LadyHearte@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 22, 1999
      In a message dated 9/22/1999 9:59:41 AM, cnogy@... writes:

      >Pistol grip crossbows are period....

      Kaz

      As always the question comes up?...What period? and what geographical scope?
      I would love to see the documentation for this as well as perhaps a
      illustration of this weapon.
      Tracy
    • Chris Nogy
      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 23, 1999
        There are several examples of miniature bows used as assasins weapons in the
        14th-16th centuries - these bows had short, usually 2 piece prods so they could
        be collapsed and fitted into pocket or a pouch.

        These bows did not have a modern semi-automatic style pistol grip, they had
        what more resembled an early powder-pistol grip - long and bulbous, with a
        gentle curve (rather like the bows on that horrible movie, First Knight - it is
        one of the few things they actually got partly right.) There was a single
        example that I have seen drawings of from 15th century Germany of a bow that
        had a pistol grip that looked like a plumbing elbow, a complete curve that
        ended in a swelling much like a modern match pistol (The remmington Fireball is
        a good example), and it used a unigue modification of a drop-pin release that I
        have never quite gotten to work, but am still trying.

        These were not full-sized bows, mind you. They would not have been made with
        full sized prods or have been made with near the power of a good half or full
        bow. But for close-up work (as in assasination) they were more than effective.

        I have a couple of these bows that I have built, including a skein-powered
        collapsible (actually, breakapart) assasin's bow, and a small bow with a
        drop-roller release that uses a small Barnett prod.

        So if you are looking for the .45 cal Desert Eagle period crossbow, a
        documentable high-powered piece that can compete head-to-head with the other
        bows on the line, I can't help you. But I can find a few examples of the .25
        cal equivalent....

        Kaz

        > From: Siegfried Sebastian Faust <eliwhite@...>, on 9/22/1999
        11:33 AM:
        > From: Siegfried Sebastian Faust <eliwhite@...>
        >
        > Really? (*He says with actual enthusiasm - no kidding*)
        >
        > For what period/culture? I love picking up new information like this ...
        >
        > Siegfried
        >
        > At 08:59 AM 9/22/99 -0700, you wrote:
        > >Pistol grip crossbows are period....
        > >
        > >Kaz

      • Chris Nogy
        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 23, 1999
          Trick response

          (I love it when folks rise to bait like that - gives me faith in my fishin
          abilities.)

          Explaination in next message - it was only half a trick question...

          Later

          Kaz

          > From: Siegfried Sebastian Faust <eliwhite@...>, on 9/22/1999
          11:33 AM:
          > From: Siegfried Sebastian Faust <eliwhite@...>
          >
          > Really? (*He says with actual enthusiasm - no kidding*)
          >
          > For what period/culture? I love picking up new information like this ...
          >
          > Siegfried
          >
          > At 08:59 AM 9/22/99 -0700, you wrote:
          > >Pistol grip crossbows are period....
          > >
          > >Kaz

        • Robert w stephenson
          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 23, 1999
            No! No!
            I think that a 50 cal Desert Eagle crossbow would be more period. It
            would make a bigger and better "impression". You might even make a wrist
            snapping remark. A 25 cal crossbow will just upset your opponent. Then
            again maybe your opponent will laughs himself to death.
            Knut

          • Karl Sandhoff
            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 23, 1999
              My Lord,
              I would very much like to know what you included as an attachment but my
              email doesn't accept them.
              Carolus von Eulenhorst