Re: [SCA-Archery] Thanks everyone!

  • Carl West at home
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2001
      Ken Taylor wrote:
      >...At all the events Ive gone
      > to, it seems a bit clicky and everyone is always so
      > busy. It seems hard to get into the social circles...

      Be busy with them.
      One of the best ways to get people to recognize you and your worth is to volunteer to help, at the gate, in the kitchen, serving, on the range, running for the list master/mistress... lots of places where help is needed. It's best if you can make your offer to the autocrat and/or sub-autocrats ahead of time.

      --
      Carl West eisen@...
      http://people.ne.mediaone.net/eisen

      "Everyone generalizes from a single case. I do it."
      - Vlad Taltos in _Issola_ by Steven Brust
    • jotl@ridgecrest.ca.us
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2001
        At 4:46 PM 12/2/01 -0500, Carl West at home wrote:
        >Ken Taylor wrote:
        >>...At all the events Ive gone
        >> to, it seems a bit clicky and everyone is always so
        >> busy. It seems hard to get into the social circles...
        >
        >Be busy with them.
        >One of the best ways to get people to recognize you and your worth is to
        >>volunteer to help, at the gate, in the kitchen, serving, on the range,
        >running >for the list master/mistress... lots of places where help is needed.
        >It's best >if you can make your offer to the autocrat and/or sub-autocrats
        >ahead of time.

        And get involved with your local group -- go to a business/council meeting.
        Newcomers are often "lost in the background" at major events. If you are
        reasonably well garbed, people will not even know you are a newcomer. Your
        local chatelaine/castellan is the officer assigned to welcome newcomers and
        he/she can help you get introduced; however, most all of us are happy to
        welcome and assist newcomers ourselves, but do not wish to intrude where
        the help is unwanted.

        James
        jotl@...
      • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2001
          The thing that stood out about what the "new archer" said, is that
          everyone on the list was nicer to him than at events.
          Well, even though we all seem like a group of extroverts, I have found
          that the majority of scadians can be a bit shy.(yes you read correctly).
          You have an interest, archery. Archers are a very supportative lot
          of people, like fighters and fencers and I'm sure other disciplines. You
          have a doorway in. The archers will befriend you, and sooner or later,
          others will come up and start talking to you and after a while, you're
          in. Then, and this is important, remember what it was like for you, and
          go out of your way to greet newbies. Don't leave it to the Chatalaine
          (they may be shy). Don't assume that the peers
          (Pelicans,Laurels,Knights,Crowns) are aloof. They are often the
          friendliest and most approachable. And if somebody treats you rudely,
          forget about it. They may be having a bad day and could turn out to be a
          good friend.(happens all the time).
          Welcome, hang in there and have a rip snortin good time.
          -Geoffrei

        • Ken Taylor
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 2, 2001
            Well, at Simplefest people were more responsive than
            at a made for-fighting event. I really am no
            wallflower by any means. I have introduced myself many
            who appear not to be busy. I didnt mean it to sound
            like a pitty party. I understand that settling in
            sometimes takes time. No problem. Good things usually
            do :)

            By the way, is there sometimes a chat room in either
            AOL or Yahoo for SCAdians? If so, what are they titled
            usually?

            --- Talmon Parker <tt_ann@...> wrote:

            > Stop beng the wall flower. Step up and start a
            > conversation with some one
            > who looks about your own age.ASk him where he got
            > his garb,Jewelry,hat or
            > what ever. They will answer your inquiry, and will
            > probably feel good
            > because you asked.

            http://shopping.yahoo.com
          • Talmon Parker
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 3, 2001
              Stop beng the wall flower. Step up and start a conversation with some one
              who looks about your own age.ASk him where he got his garb,Jewelry,hat or
              what ever. They will answer your inquiry, and will probably feel good
              because you asked.

              It worked in '85,so it will proably still work.
              Talmon

              DER BARON