Thanks everyone!

  • Ken Taylor
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2001
      I just wanted to thank everyone for a warm welcome and
      all your advice for me... a complete newbie to
      archery. I had a lot of private emails also that I
      didnt have a chance to reply to and would like to
      thank all you who took the time to send them :)

      Its a little sad, but youve been the 'warmest' group
      Ive met in the SCA so far. At all the events Ive gone
      to, it seems a bit clicky and everyone is always so
      busy. It seems hard to get into the social circles
      (unless youre a fighter of course). My problem is none
      of my real life friends or my wife are into it, so I
      have to go to the events alone... and do I look
      pathetic?! lol I feel like a lost puppy dog. (can you
      hear the violins?, hehe) ANNYhoo, thanks again! :0)

      http://shopping.yahoo.com
    • Carl West at home
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2001
        Ken Taylor wrote:
        >...At all the events Ive gone
        > to, it seems a bit clicky and everyone is always so
        > busy. It seems hard to get into the social circles...

        Be busy with them.
        One of the best ways to get people to recognize you and your worth is to volunteer to help, at the gate, in the kitchen, serving, on the range, running for the list master/mistress... lots of places where help is needed. It's best if you can make your offer to the autocrat and/or sub-autocrats ahead of time.

        --
        Carl West eisen@...
        http://people.ne.mediaone.net/eisen

        "Everyone generalizes from a single case. I do it."
        - Vlad Taltos in _Issola_ by Steven Brust
      • jotl@ridgecrest.ca.us
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2001
          At 4:46 PM 12/2/01 -0500, Carl West at home wrote:
          >Ken Taylor wrote:
          >>...At all the events Ive gone
          >> to, it seems a bit clicky and everyone is always so
          >> busy. It seems hard to get into the social circles...
          >
          >Be busy with them.
          >One of the best ways to get people to recognize you and your worth is to
          >>volunteer to help, at the gate, in the kitchen, serving, on the range,
          >running >for the list master/mistress... lots of places where help is needed.
          >It's best >if you can make your offer to the autocrat and/or sub-autocrats
          >ahead of time.

          And get involved with your local group -- go to a business/council meeting.
          Newcomers are often "lost in the background" at major events. If you are
          reasonably well garbed, people will not even know you are a newcomer. Your
          local chatelaine/castellan is the officer assigned to welcome newcomers and
          he/she can help you get introduced; however, most all of us are happy to
          welcome and assist newcomers ourselves, but do not wish to intrude where
          the help is unwanted.

          James
          jotl@...
        • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 2, 2001
            The thing that stood out about what the "new archer" said, is that
            everyone on the list was nicer to him than at events.
            Well, even though we all seem like a group of extroverts, I have found
            that the majority of scadians can be a bit shy.(yes you read correctly).
            You have an interest, archery. Archers are a very supportative lot
            of people, like fighters and fencers and I'm sure other disciplines. You
            have a doorway in. The archers will befriend you, and sooner or later,
            others will come up and start talking to you and after a while, you're
            in. Then, and this is important, remember what it was like for you, and
            go out of your way to greet newbies. Don't leave it to the Chatalaine
            (they may be shy). Don't assume that the peers
            (Pelicans,Laurels,Knights,Crowns) are aloof. They are often the
            friendliest and most approachable. And if somebody treats you rudely,
            forget about it. They may be having a bad day and could turn out to be a
            good friend.(happens all the time).
            Welcome, hang in there and have a rip snortin good time.
            -Geoffrei

          • Ken Taylor
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 2, 2001
              Well, at Simplefest people were more responsive than
              at a made for-fighting event. I really am no
              wallflower by any means. I have introduced myself many
              who appear not to be busy. I didnt mean it to sound
              like a pitty party. I understand that settling in
              sometimes takes time. No problem. Good things usually
              do :)

              By the way, is there sometimes a chat room in either
              AOL or Yahoo for SCAdians? If so, what are they titled
              usually?

              --- Talmon Parker <tt_ann@...> wrote:

              > Stop beng the wall flower. Step up and start a
              > conversation with some one
              > who looks about your own age.ASk him where he got
              > his garb,Jewelry,hat or
              > what ever. They will answer your inquiry, and will
              > probably feel good
              > because you asked.

              http://shopping.yahoo.com
            • Talmon Parker
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 3, 2001
                Stop beng the wall flower. Step up and start a conversation with some one
                who looks about your own age.ASk him where he got his garb,Jewelry,hat or
                what ever. They will answer your inquiry, and will probably feel good
                because you asked.

                It worked in '85,so it will proably still work.
                Talmon

                DER BARON