Thumb rings

  • James De Warrenne
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 1, 2001
      Greetings all

      <snippage>

      Mechanical releases are also used
      >with handbows -- just not in the SCA because they aren't period.
      >Unless you count thumbrings. Which are another moving part... =)

      A moving part?!?! A thumbring is NOT a mechanical device in any way shape
      or form. All it does is allow the string to be held on it (not directly to
      flesh) and then protect the thumb on release. Just like a finger tab does
      for a two or three finger draw.

      James

      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 1, 2001
        Greetings Everbody,
        (snipped from an earlier posting)

        From: pkjdw@... (James De Warrenne)
        "A moving part?!?! A thumbring is NOT a mechanical device in any way
        shape or form. All it does is allow the string to be held on it (not
        directly to flesh) and then protect the thumb on release. Just like a
        finger tab does for a two or three finger draw.
        James"

        YUP! What he just said. I don't use a thumbring, and I have no interest
        in ever using one, but , I gotta respect those people that do. It is no
        more mechanical than a tab or a glove. There are some archers that feel
        that it gives an unfair advantage, and to them I ask: "Have you ever
        tried using one?". It has to be like teaching yourself to shoot all over
        again from page 1. To those people that have gone that route because it
        fits their personnas, my hat is off to you.
        -Geoffrei

      • eulenhorst@juno.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 2, 2001
          Technically, as the string is held by the ring and not the fingers it is
          a "release aid" and works as a mechanical cam. They are banned from many
          mundane competitions on this basis. However, as they are documented as
          period for our use we allow them. I would be hard pressed, however, to
          allow them on my competition range by someone shooting an ELB in an
          otherwise distinctly western form.

          In service to the dream,
          Carolus von Eulenhorst
          eulenhorst@...

          On Sat, 01 Dec 2001 23:34:47 +0000 "James De Warrenne"
          <pkjdw@...> writes:
          > Greetings all
          >
          > <snippage>
          >

          > Mechanical releases are also used
          > >with handbows -- just not in the SCA because they aren't period.
          > >Unless you count thumbrings. Which are another moving part... =)
          >
          > A moving part?!?! A thumbring is NOT a mechanical device in any way
          > shape
          > or form. All it does is allow the string to be held on it (not
          > directly to
          > flesh) and then protect the thumb on release. Just like a finger
          > tab does
          > for a two or three finger draw.
          >
          > James
          GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
          http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
        • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 2, 2001
            Dear Caroulos and all,
            I have several friends that shoot by thumb and use a tab on their
            thumb instead of a thumbring. I see no difference mechanically between
            the two. A thumbring is nothing more than a rigid protection for the
            thumb, like a tab or glove, it involves no moving parts but for those
            the good Lord gave you. Getting one that fits and works properly without
            hurting your finger is the big problem, and that is why so many have
            resorted to the thumb tab.
            As for it being used with ELB or BLBS, no, of course not! Entirely
            wrong discipline for the bow. As wrong if we want to get REALLY
            technical, as using a European two or three fingered draw with an
            asiatic or Middle Eastern recurve. I applaud those brave souls that want
            to use a thumb release to be in period with their personnas. I think
            that instead of admonishing them for using something "mechanical", we
            ought to spot them a few points, because I've seen very few scadians
            that have gone ths route that could actually hit anything. (I said very
            few, Nicetas). Have you ever seen a kyudo glove? Talk about an
            engineering feat.....yet, it's still just a glove.
            -Geoffrei

          • James De Warrenne
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 2, 2001
              Greetings again.

              Technically, the string is held on top of the ring, but it in turn is being
              held by the thumb locked into the forefinger. It is not being held by the
              ring, still by human bone and muscle.(The ONE finger hooked around the
              thumb) Having tried one, I know that it is a different form, hurts if you
              don't have a proper sized ring and tires out the thumb and forefinger. (I
              now shoot with a "western" two finger draw.)

              Those in mundane competitions who have banned them based on "release aid"
              and "mechanical cam" have obviously never tried one, or they would VERY
              quickly realize that it takes as much human muscle to hold it as any western
              form. Let alone asiatic style is an overdraw. (Have you ever seen a
              Mongolian bow shot?)

              Look at the site www.atarn.org
              They have a very nice selection of photos of asiatic style shooting and have
              som einformation on the thumbring.

              But, I do agree that using a thumb ring with an ELB is a bit out of place.
              Now, if they have a horsebow or other asiatic type bow and are shooting
              asiatic style, I say more power to them.

              James

              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 2, 2001
                > A moving part?!?! A thumbring is NOT a mechanical device in any way
                > shape or form. All it does is allow the string to be held on it (not

                Of course it is. There's nothing wrong with that. Why so defensive?

                > directly to flesh) and then protect the thumb on release. Just like a
                > finger tab does for a two or three finger draw.

                Yes and no. You could argue that a glove or tab just protects the
                fingers -- just like a callous would if we shot more often. A thumb
                ring, if my understanding is accurate, not only acts to protect the
                thumb but provides a clean edge from which a more crisp release
                is possible. That's a "mechanical device" which provides a suitable
                ridge across the thumb which nature didn't provide.

                (Mongolian style shooters will please correct me if my
                interpretation of how a thumb rings works is in error.)

                YIS,
                Macsen
              • wyvern@megahits.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 2, 2001
                  > thumb, like a tab or glove, it involves no moving parts but for those
                  > the good Lord gave you. Getting one that fits and works properly

                  Keep in mind that a "mechanical device" doesn't necesarily have to
                  have moving parts.

                  > think that instead of admonishing them for using something
                  > "mechanical", we ought to spot them a few points, because I've seen

                  Has anyone done so? I know I have made the observation that
                  thumbrings are technically a mechanical device, but I've certainly
                  never bothered anyone for using one.

                  YIS,
                  Macsen
                • wyvern@megahits.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 2, 2001
                    > Technically, as the string is held by the ring and not the fingers it
                    > is a "release aid" and works as a mechanical cam.

                    Thank you for that bit of confirmation. =)

                    YIS,
                    Macsen
                  • Kazimierz Verkmastare
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 2, 2001
                      Mongolian shooter here (among other things)

                      Took over 2 years of working before I could regularly hit something the size of a pieplate at 20 yards (still can't do it every time, but am getting somewhat close). I started getting better when I realized that the release efficiency was in the finger that hooks over the thumb, not in the thumb ring.

                      The thumb ring can be made of many materials. Metal, stone, horn, bone, even leather. Most didn't have notches or grooves for a string, though some did. I have several, everything from a solid gold falcon head thumbring (anniversary gift from my wife 4 years ago, and the thing that got me started shooting mongolian) to my daily workhorse homemade water buffalo horn ring.

                      It is as far as I have been able to discern a purely protective device - it has no real effect on the speed of release. The thumb by itself is completely unable to hold a full drawn bowstring, and so the moment the finger is unhooked, the thumb very rapidly and extremely efficiently gets out of the way, with or without a ring. Actually, I prefer shooting an eastern release without a ring, and do if it is only for a few shots. So to me the ring is an invention of necessity, not an aid in release speed or efficiency.

                      Kaz

                    • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 2, 2001
                        Greetings to the list,
                        Thanks Kaz! Finally, a voice of practiced wisdom.
                        I had tried using a thumbring once just to see what it was like,
                        shooting off the other side of the bow, and I felt like somebody was
                        asking me to scratch my ear with my elbow. In the strictest sense of the
                        word mechanical, I suppose that a thumbring would be mechanical and so
                        would a tab, a glove and a finger. But let's not cloud the issue. We all
                        know what we mean when we say mechanical. We are referring to the
                        specific type of moving parts mechanical devices such as the trigger
                        releases used by compound shooters. These types of devices are clearly
                        not allowed in handbow shooting in the SCA,except in extreme cases of
                        physically challenged individuals and then only with the permission of
                        the marshallate. The thumbring is just a hard tab to protect the thumb.
                        -Geoffrei

                        From: kaz@... (Kazimierz Verkmastare)
                        Took over 2 years of working before I could regularly hit something the
                        size of a pieplate at 20 yards (still can't do it every time, but am
                        getting somewhat close). I started getting better when I realized that
                        the release efficiency was in the finger that hooks over the thumb, not
                        in the thumb ring.
                        The thumb ring can be made of many materials. Metal, stone, horn, bone,
                        even leather. Most didn't have notches or grooves for a string, (snip)
                        It is as far as I have been able to discern a purely protective device -
                        it has no real effect on the speed of release. The thumb by itself is
                        completely unable to hold a full drawn bowstring, and so the moment the
                        finger is unhooked, the thumb very rapidly and extremely efficiently
                        gets out of the way, with or without a ring. Actually, I prefer shooting
                        an eastern release without a ring, and do if it is only for a few shots.
                        So to me the ring is an invention of necessity, not an aid in release
                        speed or efficiency.
                        Kaz

                      • Marko Peussa
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 2, 2001
                          Hi all,

                          Some notes on the kyudo glove.

                          At least in Heki Ryu Insai Ha school of Kyudo, the glove has a 'thumb ring'
                          inside the glove. It's made of wood and covered with leather. The difference
                          to a normal thumb ring is that this one completely encloses the thumb. It's
                          like a wooden thumb around your thumb. The string is held in a groove at the
                          base of the wooden thumb. The groove is perpendicular to the axis of the
                          thumb and the width of the groove is less than the string width. The angle
                          of the wall of the groove is 45 degrees to the axis of the thumb. Two
                          fingers cross the thumb and lock the grip. Two fingers apply pressure on the
                          thumb from the top by the first joints only. It is very desirable to
                          maintain only minimum pressure on the thumb. In target archery, one
                          typically uses 'giriko', which is powdered resin, to achieve high friction
                          between fingers and thumb. Position of the thumb relative to arrow is also
                          very important for a good release. Not to mention what the right hand does
                          at the moment of release. The right forearm rotates around the axis of the
                          thumb. If you do the things correctly, it doesn't hurt at all.

                          All this is next to impossible explain by mail only, but I hope you get the
                          impression that the shape of the wooden thumb, groove, way of gripping and
                          other details are very important if one aims to achieve any consistency in
                          hitting. A tiny mistake in any of these spoils your accuracy.

                          Of course the glove improves shooting accuracy. That is why it is being
                          used. However, the effect is neglible until you know how to correctly shoot
                          with the glove. This takes years and it's possible that you never learn it.

                          The 'typical' accuracy that one can get with Heki Ryu Insai Ha style is
                          something like this: From a 30 ft distance you could hit a 36 cm (approx. 14
                          inch) diameter target with 90 out of 100 arrows. This was the criteria for
                          an ok archer, as specified by the late master teacher Inagaki of the school.
                          Even this requires years of hard study.

                          Yep, not an easy way to shoot.

                          Klasi-San

                          > I have several friends that shoot by thumb and use a tab on their
                          > thumb instead of a thumbring. I see no difference mechanically between
                          > the two. A thumbring is nothing more than a rigid protection for the
                          > thumb, like a tab or glove, it involves no moving parts but for those
                          > the good Lord gave you. Getting one that fits and works properly without
                          > hurting your finger is the big problem, and that is why so many have
                          > resorted to the thumb tab.
                          > As for it being used with ELB or BLBS, no, of course not! Entirely
                          > wrong discipline for the bow. As wrong if we want to get REALLY
                          > technical, as using a European two or three fingered draw with an
                          > asiatic or Middle Eastern recurve. I applaud those brave souls that want
                          > to use a thumb release to be in period with their personnas. I think
                          > that instead of admonishing them for using something "mechanical", we
                          > ought to spot them a few points, because I've seen very few scadians
                          > that have gone ths route that could actually hit anything. (I said very
                          > few, Nicetas). Have you ever seen a kyudo glove? Talk about an
                          > engineering feat.....yet, it's still just a glove.
                          > -Geoffrei
                          >

                          > http://community.webtv.net/jrosswebb1/EASTWINDStribal

                        • Marko Peussa
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 2, 2001
                            Whoops, I meant to say 30 YARDS distance. It's not THAT difficult, he hee.

                            Klasi-San

                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                          • eulenhorst@juno.com
                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 2, 2001
                              No, Geoffrei,
                              A thumbring is not simply "protection" for the thumb. It fits over the
                              thumb and forms a lever held by the index finger. The string is held in
                              the gap between the finger and the thumb by the ring. This allows much
                              more force to be held than with the fingers alone; a point especially
                              important when the short bow lengths of the bows the ring are typically
                              used with are considered. These bows are of composite construction and
                              not subject to the "string following" of an all wood bow. The thumb ring
                              then allows the bow to be held longer and sighted more carefully. This
                              is the same reason for the use of modern release aids. Releasing the
                              lever allows the quick and smooth release of the string.

                              I do not admonish anyone in our society for learning the skills of the
                              thumb ring. Far from it, I applaud their efforts and encourage them to
                              do so as I stated in briefer form in my earlier post. Nonetheless, it is
                              a mechanical component and needs to be recognized as such.

                              In service to the dream,
                              Carolus von Eulenhorst
                              eulenhorst@...