Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Apples and Oranges: The Response

  • eulenhorst@juno.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 1, 2001
      I believe there are also documents of crossbowmen sitting behind a rail
      shooting siege crossbows as snipers picking off the defenders from city
      or castle walls. I just don't have access to all my references right
      now. I do get tired of all this emphasis on "combat" when we are
      practicing a period sport and not fighting battles. It's time to take
      the blinders off and look at the full spectrum of archery as practiced in
      period, not just in war.

      In service to the dream,
      Carolus von Eulenhorst
      eulenhorst@...

      On Sat, 01 Dec 2001 16:21:22 -0500 Siegfried Sebastian Faust
      <eliwhite@...> writes:

      > > Can anybody
      > >provide any documentation showing that crossbowmen fired a
      > crossbow
      > >in a sitting position in combat?
      > >
      > >PS> If no documentation exists should this technique also be
      > banned?
      >
      > First of all, for the record, I am a 'standing crossbowmen' ...
      >
      > Now, to move on ...
      >
      > Firing from a sitting position in COMBAT ... of course not, except
      > perhaps
      > crossbowmen on the ramparts ...
      >
      > However, 'bench shooting' was VERY common place in late period as
      > sport
      > with crossbows. And that takes sitting even a step further. That
      > also is
      > what we are doing ... TARGET archery. We aren't simulating combat
      > with our
      > target bows, we are simulating the archery competitions of the day
      >
      > Which, there is lots of documentation/woodcuts/etc about crossbowmen
      >
      > competing while sitting at a bench.
      >
      > Siegfried
      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.