Re: Archery Company Guidelines

  • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 22, 1999
      Really? (*He says with actual enthusiasm - no kidding*)

      For what period/culture? I love picking up new information like this ...

      Siegfried

      At 08:59 AM 9/22/99 -0700, you wrote:
      >Pistol grip crossbows are period....
      >
      >Kaz

      Minister of Misinformation (Chronicler & Web Minister)
      http://highland-foorde.atlantia.sca.org
    • LadyHearte@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 22, 1999
        In a message dated 9/22/1999 9:59:41 AM, cnogy@... writes:

        >Pistol grip crossbows are period....

        Kaz

        As always the question comes up?...What period? and what geographical scope?
        I would love to see the documentation for this as well as perhaps a
        illustration of this weapon.
        Tracy
      • Chris Nogy
        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 23, 1999
          There are several examples of miniature bows used as assasins weapons in the
          14th-16th centuries - these bows had short, usually 2 piece prods so they could
          be collapsed and fitted into pocket or a pouch.

          These bows did not have a modern semi-automatic style pistol grip, they had
          what more resembled an early powder-pistol grip - long and bulbous, with a
          gentle curve (rather like the bows on that horrible movie, First Knight - it is
          one of the few things they actually got partly right.) There was a single
          example that I have seen drawings of from 15th century Germany of a bow that
          had a pistol grip that looked like a plumbing elbow, a complete curve that
          ended in a swelling much like a modern match pistol (The remmington Fireball is
          a good example), and it used a unigue modification of a drop-pin release that I
          have never quite gotten to work, but am still trying.

          These were not full-sized bows, mind you. They would not have been made with
          full sized prods or have been made with near the power of a good half or full
          bow. But for close-up work (as in assasination) they were more than effective.

          I have a couple of these bows that I have built, including a skein-powered
          collapsible (actually, breakapart) assasin's bow, and a small bow with a
          drop-roller release that uses a small Barnett prod.

          So if you are looking for the .45 cal Desert Eagle period crossbow, a
          documentable high-powered piece that can compete head-to-head with the other
          bows on the line, I can't help you. But I can find a few examples of the .25
          cal equivalent....

          Kaz

          > From: Siegfried Sebastian Faust <eliwhite@...>, on 9/22/1999
          11:33 AM:
          > From: Siegfried Sebastian Faust <eliwhite@...>
          >
          > Really? (*He says with actual enthusiasm - no kidding*)
          >
          > For what period/culture? I love picking up new information like this ...
          >
          > Siegfried
          >
          > At 08:59 AM 9/22/99 -0700, you wrote:
          > >Pistol grip crossbows are period....
          > >
          > >Kaz

        • Chris Nogy
          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 23, 1999
            Trick response

            (I love it when folks rise to bait like that - gives me faith in my fishin
            abilities.)

            Explaination in next message - it was only half a trick question...

            Later

            Kaz

            > From: Siegfried Sebastian Faust <eliwhite@...>, on 9/22/1999
            11:33 AM:
            > From: Siegfried Sebastian Faust <eliwhite@...>
            >
            > Really? (*He says with actual enthusiasm - no kidding*)
            >
            > For what period/culture? I love picking up new information like this ...
            >
            > Siegfried
            >
            > At 08:59 AM 9/22/99 -0700, you wrote:
            > >Pistol grip crossbows are period....
            > >
            > >Kaz

          • Robert w stephenson
            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 23, 1999
              No! No!
              I think that a 50 cal Desert Eagle crossbow would be more period. It
              would make a bigger and better "impression". You might even make a wrist
              snapping remark. A 25 cal crossbow will just upset your opponent. Then
              again maybe your opponent will laughs himself to death.
              Knut

            • Karl Sandhoff
              Message 6 of 26 , Sep 23, 1999
                My Lord,
                I would very much like to know what you included as an attachment but my
                email doesn't accept them.
                Carolus von Eulenhorst