Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Apples and Oranges: The Response

  • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 1, 2001
      > Can anybody
      >provide any documentation showing that crossbowmen fired a crossbow
      >in a sitting position in combat?
      >
      >PS> If no documentation exists should this technique also be banned?

      First of all, for the record, I am a 'standing crossbowmen' ...

      Now, to move on ...

      Firing from a sitting position in COMBAT ... of course not, except perhaps
      crossbowmen on the ramparts ...

      However, 'bench shooting' was VERY common place in late period as sport
      with crossbows. And that takes sitting even a step further. That also is
      what we are doing ... TARGET archery. We aren't simulating combat with our
      target bows, we are simulating the archery competitions of the day ...

      Which, there is lots of documentation/woodcuts/etc about crossbowmen
      competing while sitting at a bench.

      Siegfried

      Baronial Web Minister http://highland-foorde.atlantia.sca.org
    • eulenhorst@juno.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 1, 2001
        I believe there are also documents of crossbowmen sitting behind a rail
        shooting siege crossbows as snipers picking off the defenders from city
        or castle walls. I just don't have access to all my references right
        now. I do get tired of all this emphasis on "combat" when we are
        practicing a period sport and not fighting battles. It's time to take
        the blinders off and look at the full spectrum of archery as practiced in
        period, not just in war.

        In service to the dream,
        Carolus von Eulenhorst
        eulenhorst@...

        On Sat, 01 Dec 2001 16:21:22 -0500 Siegfried Sebastian Faust
        <eliwhite@...> writes:

        > > Can anybody
        > >provide any documentation showing that crossbowmen fired a
        > crossbow
        > >in a sitting position in combat?
        > >
        > >PS> If no documentation exists should this technique also be
        > banned?
        >
        > First of all, for the record, I am a 'standing crossbowmen' ...
        >
        > Now, to move on ...
        >
        > Firing from a sitting position in COMBAT ... of course not, except
        > perhaps
        > crossbowmen on the ramparts ...
        >
        > However, 'bench shooting' was VERY common place in late period as
        > sport
        > with crossbows. And that takes sitting even a step further. That
        > also is
        > what we are doing ... TARGET archery. We aren't simulating combat
        > with our
        > target bows, we are simulating the archery competitions of the day
        >
        > Which, there is lots of documentation/woodcuts/etc about crossbowmen
        >
        > competing while sitting at a bench.
        >
        > Siegfried
        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.